Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Any Collection Company Access Our Credit File Anytime They Wish ?Help

tag
icloud987
Contributor

Can Any Collection Company Access Our Credit File Anytime They Wish ?Help

Hi,

I was checking my TransUnion credit report, and I noticed Northstar Location Service (CA) accessed my credit file on Aug 05 this month , it is very odd , because they were collecting for my charged off Barclays account earlier this year , when I called them in July and had to provide them my personal information(I can't remember if I gave out last 4 or full SSN)  to look up my account, they told me they no longer have my Barclays account. I later called Barclays and found out LTD is the CA collecting for this Barclays account, so I settled with LTD. 

It seemed like my contacting Northstar prompted them to check my credit file? It is listed under account review inquiries , the full description "The listing of a company's inquiry in this section means that they obtained information from your credit file in connection with an account review or other business transaction with you. These inquiries are not seen by anyone but you and will not be used in scoring your credit file (except insurance companies may have access to other insurance company inquiries, certain collection companies may have access to other collection company inquiries, and users of a report for employment purposes may have access to other employment inquiries, where permitted by law)."

Are they allowed to do this when they no longer handle my Barclays account?

Does this mean in the future, any time, any collection agency can just access my credit report (after all my debt settlement updates )? I feel worried about this, are they trying to steal my identity or do something? I can't understand why they wanted to see my credit report if they dont have any of my accounts with them? All my accounts are settled, none is through Northstar.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Can Any Collection Company Access Our Credit File Anytime They Wish ?Help

Law provides anyone you have done business with in the past 18 months can obtain your credit moving forward, a collector that had your file would fall under this too. I would expect that they had input your info and it was still in the obtain by automatic means even as they sent your file back. I would expect inquiries to cease going forward unless they again become collectors agent or owner of the debt.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.