Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can CA sue if they don’t own the account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can CA sue if they don’t own the account

@Anonymouswrote:
I have an old debt that came off my reports last month due to the 7 year period. The Original creditor however transferred it this month to a CA for some reason. Not sure why since neither can report it? Yes I know they can try to collect forever just trying to see where they are headed. My SOL isn’t up until 2021. Also I’ve read that only the OC can sue not the CA if the debt was just transferred and not sold. Is this correct? Thank you all.

After rereading this I would look at local state laws.  In many states they can not sue you after "xx" amount of time has passed if there has no payment, etc...

That being said, I have read in this forums about creditors causing people problems with old debt even though they can't sue or report.

Message 11 of 13
Kree
Established Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

@Anonymouswrote:
I have an old debt that came off my reports last month due to the 7 year period. The Original creditor however transferred it this month to a CA for some reason. Not sure why since neither can report it? Yes I know they can try to collect forever just trying to see where they are headed. My SOL isn’t up until 2021. Also I’ve read that only the OC can sue not the CA if the debt was just transferred and not sold. Is this correct? Thank you all.

After rereading this I would look at local state laws.  In many states they can not sue you after "xx" amount of time has passed if there has no payment, etc...

That being said, I have read in this forums about creditors causing people problems with old debt even though they can't sue or report.

Some state have a 10 year period, which would be 2021 is 7 years is 2018, so OP probably already looked up his SOL.

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kreewrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

Some state have a 10 year period, which would be 2021 is 7 years is 2018, so OP probably already looked up his SOL.

I didn't even know there was an SOL on debt until recently.  That is why I mention it as others may not either.

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.