cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Cap One report an account to the CRA on a non-activated card/account?

tag
I_need_720
Regular Contributor

Can Cap One report an account to the CRA on a non-activated card/account?

About two months ago I apped for another Quicksilver card and Cap One in ts generous nature (sarcasm) granted me one with a whopping $300 CL. I knew that the HP would show up on my CR's. However, can Cap One report the account to CRA's if I have never activated the card?  I am now seeing this account on my reports and I don't think that's right. Please share your guidance.

br>Current Scores: EQ: 629 EX: 654 TU: 682 on 12/30/2014 from myFico
Starting Scores: EQ: 640 EX: 672 TU: 663 on 08/26/2014 from myFico
Goal Scores: 750+

In the Garden till October 2015 - Last App November 13, 2014
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
I_need_720
Regular Contributor

Re: Can Cap One report an account to the CRA on a non-activated card/account?

BUMP

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you not plan on activating it? If so, why did you apply? Not Capital One, but Barclays is notorious for reporting well before you even receive the card. They started reporting the day I was approved.
Message 3 of 8
I_need_720
Regular Contributor

No, I do not plan on activating the card. I am willing to take the hit for the inquiry. However, I am not willing to take the hit on my AAOA for a $300 limit. If had any inkling that was the credit limit they were going to grant I wouldn't have applied.  That is a joke limit that will not look good when I hit my other cards for CLI's.

Message 4 of 8
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@I_need_720 wrote:

No, I do not plan on activating the card. I am willing to take the hit for the inquiry. However, I am not willing to take the hit on my AAOA for a $300 limit. If had any inkling that was the credit limit they were going to grant I wouldn't have applied.  That is a joke limit that will not look good when I hit my other cards for CLI's.

Unfortunately, there's no requirement for any creditor to specify a limit prior to a HP. It comes down to your applying, their approving, and once approved, the account is created, and placed into your file. Card activation has nothing to do with it. You can ask them to strike the TL from your CRs.

Message 5 of 8
taxi818
Super Contributor

Absolutely they can report it because the moment you applied. you gave them your social and permission to report to your credit report.

Now whether you activate or not makes no difference. it will report forever. and too bad. that quicksilver one carries a annual fee.

so you need to be carefull at this point. before that annual fee is reported as a late payment. best thing to do at this point and is call and cancel the account period.

now only you know if it has a AF. but if it does not. just leave it open. they will close eventually. but better to say on your report. closed by account holder. as opposed to closed by lender.

so don't hurt yourself any further because or emotions on this low limit toy card.

just close it and do the right thing.

there is a reason they gave you such a low limit. maybe simply because they are cap 1.

Message 6 of 8
I_need_720
Regular Contributor

Success!! Good riddance $300 limit and impact to my AAOA 

I called Cap One and they closed the account and will be deleting the trade line. It will take up to 60 days  for  the process to complete. 

Cap One can keep their paltry limits and stingy CLI's. I will be closing my other account with them once it reaches two years age so as to achieve maximum benefit of age for having the account before closure.  Three months ago I closed my secured card that I had with them for two  years had placed $2500 in and PIF each month. I have more than demonstrated financial responsibility with them.  In comparison Barclays has given me three cards in the last year with starting limits of $1000, $1500 and $3500 respectively. So a $300 limit from Cap One is undeserved and ridiculous.

Message 7 of 8
taxi818
Super Contributor

Of course they will give you better limits. Keep in mind. Don't make cap 1 something it's not. It's good for building. Once that is done and score is good. Others will reward you.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.