Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I contact CRA to get a collection deleted

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I contact CRA to get a collection deleted

Hi all. I have a paid collection and letters from OC and CA showing that they have agreed to remove the entry from credit report. It has been 20 business days and the entry is still there. Can I contact CRA myself directly to have it removed? Thanks. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
chasmith
Valued Contributor

Re: Can I contact CRA to get a collection deleted

CRAs don't like removal of TLs, they take the position that the collection should be updated to paid and left on.  So I doubt the letters will get the deletes you're looking for.

Unless there's a critical need I would wait it out a month and then go back to the OC and CA and ask them to keep their promises.

I know it's hard to just wait but sometimes that's the best approach.

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@chasmith wrote:

CRAs don't like removal of TLs, they take the position that the collection should be updated to paid and left on.  So I doubt the letters will get the deletes you're looking for.

Unless there's a critical need I would wait it out a month and then go back to the OC and CA and ask them to keep their promises.

I know it's hard to just wait but sometimes that's the best approach.

It is for a mortgage application. Can the mortgage company do anything regarding this? I know that they can do rapid rescoring but I dont know if they can have it removed faster. Any ideas? 

Message 3 of 6
golfingmama
New Contributor

I sent a copy of my "PAID collection & delete reciept" to all 3 CRA's and 2 have updated within a few days Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

i have received a deletion leter from a ca back in september of this year and the item is still showing up on my cr.  do you think if i send a copy of the letter to the cra that it will get deleted?  they are no longer collecting on this account so they said they would delete from all 3 agencies.

i am willing to try anything to get it removed.

Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

One of the provisions in the official credit reporting manual developed jointly by the three CRAs is the provision that a party who previously reported accurate information to them  should not request deletion of that reporting based on payment of the debt.  See the “Credit Reporting Resources Guide”, © 2008, Consumer Data Industry Association (CDIA).   With the CRA issuing guidelines telling reporters not to delete based on payment,  I would not expect a CRA to delete on their own volition based on a private agreement between the parties.

If the person who posted the information requests deletion, the CRA wont ask for reasons why.  That is the clean way to do it.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.