Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I have accounts removed for reporting twice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I have accounts removed for reporting twice

New to forums. Thank you in advance for any knowledge or tips. Raised my score from 558 TU to 665 in the last five months. My question is I had some student loans that had some late payment marks. The accounts were opened in 2005 and closed due to transfer in 2016. Those late payment marks are showing along with the same marks on the seemingly second same accounts. Is this giving me twice the late payment marks that I should have? Do I have any grounds for removal of the original accounts or late payment marks?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Can I have accounts removed for reporting twice

Question is. What are the dates of the late payments? More than 7 yrs and 180 days. Dispute them to get them removed. They are past the reporting age.

Message 2 of 4
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
New to forums. Thank you in advance for any knowledge or tips. Raised my score from 558 TU to 665 in the last five months. My question is I had some student loans that had some late payment marks. The accounts were opened in 2005 and closed due to transfer in 2016. Those late payment marks are showing along with the same marks on the seemingly second same accounts. Is this giving me twice the late payment marks that I should have? Do I have any grounds for removal of the original accounts or late payment marks?

I had a similar situation. I had 2 student loans reporting and each one was reporting twice:  one for the OC and one for collections. So 4 total accounts with nothing but 180+ past due. Ugh it was a hot mess! Since they were all technically different accounts, I couldn't have them removed based on being duplicates. However, 6 months before the DoFD (date of first delinquency) I contacted TU, spoke to a supervisor, and asked if they could please remove those accounts. So I suggest finding that DoFD and go from there. You said they were opened in 2005, but when did they first go delinquent? 

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Officially collection free as of 3/19/19!!
STARTING SCORES: 377 (11/2013) & 580 (3/2018)
Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Issue number one is whether or not the student loan is federal.

Some federal student loans are totally exempted from the normal credit report exclusion provisions of the FCRA until paid.

Also, federal student loans can pass from one servicer to another, and both can report their own prior histories.

In fact, the Higher Education Act mandates the reporting of some federal student loans, and thus any request for subjective deletions cannot be granted by the creditor.

That is not considered reporting of the same account twice.  It is considered reporting by different servicers of your history with them.

Of course, creditor B should not report the same monthly delinquencies or payment history profile that was reported by creditor A.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.