cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I sue? Collections are my ex-husbands (who d/c in bank)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I sue? Collections are my ex-husbands (who d/c in bank)

Working through my credit and offered a PFD for $711 in medical bills assuming they were mine from 2010. I aparently had the amount wrong and offered to pay in full at $600 and got back a $711 bill. Reviewed it and noticed these are for my ex-husband.  We divorced in 2011. He listed these on his bankruptcy in 2012.

I've written them a debt validation letter and included the divorce decree and his bankruptcy petition.

I'd love to sue these bastards... this has been a baddie on my credit for way too long.

It's with a local collections agency in Colorado and I live in Texas.  Is it worth trying?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Can I sue? Collections are my ex-husbands (who d/c in bank)

Divorce does not terminate the mutual obligation for debt that was incurred prior to the divorce decree, even if the decress specifies the other party as bearing responsibility for continuing payment of the debt. 

Was the debt incurrred prior to divorce?

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes it was but it was also specifically listed on his bankruptcy (filed separetly of our divorce, I was not listed but all his debts were discharged)

Message 3 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

You would not be responsible for his medical bills unless you live in a community property state or you signed as guarantor. If none of this applies file a complaint with the states AG and/or the BBB.

For valid unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and see if you qualify for Charity Care
2. If not then ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
3. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
4. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

Message 4 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

You would not be responsible for his medical bills unless you live in a community property state or you signed as guarantor. If none of this applies file a complaint with the states AG and/or the BBB.

For valid unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and see if you qualify for Charity Care
2. If not then ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
3. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
4. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.