cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a creditor reopen and close an account already closed

tag
bsesender

Can a creditor reopen and close an account already closed

Not sure if this is the right place for the question, but here is my situation.  I have a great score but had one derogatory late payment from a few years ago that was paid within 60 days. I closed the account back then as soon as I paid it. Creditor was credit first tires plus..

I decided to write a letter asking for a Goodwill or early delete on this closed account.

Today I received an alert saying my score went down 30 points!  When I looked it over nothing changed except one credit line was increased and tires plus showed no late payments but closed my already closed account this month.

Is this legal?  What recourse do I have, I was trying to boost my score by having no lates and instead I have no lates but my score dropped 30 points!

4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Can a creditor reopen and close an account already closed

Closing only restricts the consumer from making additional charges on the debt.

If the account is revolving, yes, it can be reopened and then closed again by the creditor.

Regardless, it should not have had a negative impact on your score.

The removal of the delinquency would only be positive, and change of open/closed status is not a scoring factor.

The score change is likely nothing to do with open or closed status.

Message 2 of 5
bsesender

I was thinking that it lowered my average age of credit amd that was the impact. What else could have possibly changed It? My utilization is only 2%
Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

FICO does not distinguish between open or closed account status in determining the age of the account.

It is based on the original open date of the account.

Closing of an account has very different meanings depending upon the type of credit.

Installment accounts are only closed when the debt is discharged.

Revolving accounts, such as credit cards and LOCs, have the ability to "close" the account while it is still delinquent and unpaid.

Closing of a revolving account ends the ability or the consumer to make additional charges on the account, and thus is used to limit the risk to the creditor.  They can, at their discretion, re-open and then close the account.  That does not change the age of the account since its original open date.

Message 4 of 5
Kree
Established Contributor

Hi OP, your tags mention both "fico score" and "non-fico credit score".

Could you please clarify where you got the score you are mentioning?

Thanks,

EDIT: typo

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.