Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a debt be sent back to the OC?

tag
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

Can a debt be sent back to the OC?

When the collection account called, I told them I would take this matter up with the hospital the debt was reported from. They informed me that they purchased the debt, and the hospital no longer had financial ties to it. I called the hospital anyways, and was told they did write off the debt and sell it, therefor they had to refer me to the CA.

Today I received a BBB response letter stating they were removing all reporting from the CRAs and sending it back to the OC??

So if they bought it, did they sell it back? How does this work?

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
annielorie
Valued Contributor

Re: Can a debt be sent back to the OC?

Not sure exactly what the chain of events were. But IMO If the CA is off the reports get your but in touch with hospital and pay. If they have chargeoff on your report ask for PFD. Period. Looks like you just got lucky. Have letter in hand before you pay.

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 2 of 12
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

@annielorie wrote:

Not sure exactly what the chain of events were. But IMO If the CA is off the reports get your but in touch with hospital and pay. If they have chargeoff on your report ask for PFD. Period. Looks like you just got lucky. Have letter in hand before you pay.

The hospital never showed up as a CO on my report or anywhere on my report. The CA is the only thing that ever showed, but is removed. The debt is 6 years old and was scheduled to come off in 2013 anyways.  I cant afford to PFD the debt was over 7k and Its so old now I dont think it would be worth it.

I was just confused as to how the hospital sold the debt, the CA bought it, now the CA is selling it back i guess? Why would the hospital buy a 6 year old debt back after the SOL has expired?

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 3 of 12
annielorie
Valued Contributor

Why was the BBB involved??What ws the complaint?

Message 4 of 12
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

@annielorie wrote:

Why was the BBB involved??What ws the complaint?

I complained about them reporting a duplicate collection. so for the past 3+ years my CRAs have reflected 15k in collections on 2 seperate accounts, I corrected that issue via dispute. That and they never provided me any type of validation of the debt, yet still attempted to collect.

I offered them to provide the information requested or delete the accounts from the CRAs.

They said they would delete it and to please contact the OC regarding any further issues with the debt.

Message 5 of 12
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

Most agreements that JDBs buy debt under provide that they can return the debt and get refunded their purchase price under certain conditions. Usually it's if there is some defect in the debt paper.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 6 of 12
annielorie
Valued Contributor

Well if its out of SOL legally they the OC or any other CA assigned the account.  Morally you still owe debt, legally however the OC or CA'S dont have a leg to stand on. If they try to bring you to court go. Then just state SOL.

Message 7 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The OC sold the debt.  You cant pay them.  If no OC or collection is reporting, then nothing to request deletion of.

The OC is not likely to buy back a debt they sold. 

I would leave it alone, unless you just want to satisfy the debt by sending payment to the debt collector.

Message 8 of 12
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

I do not want to pay this debt, and nothing is reporting.  Ive tried 6 years to get a breakdown of the charges and its been the longest headache of my life.

That was the confusing part to me, why would they buy the debt back?

I will just leave it be, as the debt is so old and Ive got documented attempts for information regarding this debt.

It didnt make sense to me as to how this could hurt me, but I dont know much about these things.

Message 9 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

No.

The OC cant send "debt" to anyone.  They have stated that they no longer own it. They are out of the debt picture.

A new debt collector would have to receive assignment from the owner.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.