Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can an OC report the accoutn as a CA?

tag
Breakthecycle2
Established Contributor

Can an OC report the accoutn as a CA?

Is this legal? Another collection popped up that I sent a DV to 2 months ago. I never received a response! Help!

Starting Score: 454
Current Score: 690
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Can an OC report the accoutn as a CA?

What is the OC that's reporting as a CA?
Message 2 of 9
Breakthecycle2
Established Contributor

The original creditor is Meta Bank? I DV'd them and they said they coulldn't find anything, followed by a letter two weeks later stating that they found my account and it was sold. I also received a letter from Jefferson Capital. I followed their letter by a DV. I never got a response. What should i do?

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

A CA has 30 days, from the date that they signed for it, to answer it.  If they do not then you send the *no answer* letter along with a copy of the DV letter  copy of the cert paper and GC to all CRAs reporting.

Your Name
Address
City, State Zip

TU/EX/EQ
Address
City, State Zip

DATE
RE: Account #_________/Original Creditor’s Name
Dear CRA:
This is a request for deletion of a disputed item. I have attempted to have this allleged debt
verified by the alleged creditor and collection agency to no avail. I am respectfully requesting that
"Collection Agency" do what is legally mandated by the FCRA and FDCPA, and delete the account listing.
Name of Creditor/Agency, Account #_________
On XX XX 08, "Collection Agency" received a demand for validation from me. Attached is a copy of that letter along with the U.S. Post Office return receipt showing they did indeed receive the request.
As of today, XX XX 2008, they have failed to provide any proof or respond in any way.
On XX XX 08, I sent a second letter. Again, I have received no response. Attached is a copy of the
letter and the U.S. Post Office showing they did receive that letter.
The FDCPA states they must cease collection activity until they have produced verification of the
alleged debt if so requested. As per the FTC, this includes reporting to the credit bureaus, which
they obviously have done illegally. It is quite evident that no such proof of this alleged debt exists
or they would have provided it in the previous X months since it was requested.
Also, when an alleged debt is disputed, a notation must be entered on the debtors report showing the
item as in dispute. Again, this was not done. Another violation of the FDCPA. (DELETE THIS PARAGRAPH IF IT DOES NOT APPLY!!)
As per the FCRA, if no proof of debt exists, it may not be reported to the credit reporting bureaus.
The FCRA also states that the credit reporting agencies must accept written proof from the debtor.
Therefore, I am not asking for an investigation to be done, I am requesting that the entry be deleted
in its entirety as there is no proof of its existence as evidenced by my attached documented proof.
Sincerely,

typed name only   do not sign
Message 4 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I just got a collection on my CR from Jefferson Capital also.  It too is for a META Bank account that has been removed from my CR.  It is beyond the reporting period and SOL.  My CR says the DOFD is 2004 and that is false. 

Other than it hurting my score, I am not going to stress over it.  The SOL was up last year according to the DOFD posted.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your title states "Can an OC report the account as a CA?", but I'm not understanding what you are asking.

Who is reporting? 

Message 6 of 9
Breakthecycle2
Established Contributor

Re: Can an OC report the same account as a CA?

Sorry!! I meant can a OC report the same past due account on my credit report as a collection agency?

Message 7 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Yes, the OC and one CA can report the account. 
Message Edited by guiness56 on 11-17-2008 07:20 PM
Message 8 of 9
Breakthecycle2
Established Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:
Yes, the OC and one CA can report the account, both with balances.  If it was a CO, the OC would have to report a 0 balance and the CA would report a balance.

I have already disputed it, but is there anything else I can do?

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.