cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone tell me where to start? Please.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can someone tell me where to start? Please.

I have just one secured Capital One card with a low limit. I just started a new $81K/yr job and intend to increase my credit limit with some additional deposits. I was just denied a Barclaycard Rewards MasterCard- which I kind of suspected, but decided to apply anyway because I have been witnessing so many miracles that I thought I might see another one.

My credit report has:

Paid judgement for $3807

$50 Paid medical collection

Car Loan that was paid off in Oct 2011, but reports as a paid charge off. (still fighting this)

Several lates on my student loans

12 months worth of lates on my mortgage. (just got caught up)

2 other installment accounts in perfect standing with about 2 years worth of on-time payments.

1 new Fingerhut account $500 limit, never late.

Everything is now current as of September 2014. 

Wth the 15K raise with my new job, I will be chiseling away at my outrageous student loan debt and not missing any payments. Any thing else I should be doing?

What score do you need to get an unsecured card?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
LShawn08
Frequent Contributor

Re: Can someone tell me where to start? Please.

I say this CAUTION, get only 1 or 2 cards with the shopping cart trick, if you go beyond that, you will regret it. Hard inquiries should only be given away if you can spare them and if it will be beneficial in the long run, My advice, only places you frequent often should you use the shopping cart trick on. This will help with your mix of credit.

Pay for Delete that $50 collection. Its small, the original creditor may go for it.

Goodwill those lates, they are also surpressing your score.

Hard inquiries only ding you for 2 years, so at first you will lose a few points but as you keep up payments and keep your utilization down, the sting will be less and eventually when the fall entirely, you might gain some points back from them.

BOOM KNOWLEDGE!

Starting Score:TU:791(Dec3), EX:783, EQ:000
Current Score: TU:786(Aug9), EX:776, EQ:782 (Aug8)
Goal Score:820 across all boards

If all pork chops were perfect, we wouldn't have hot dogs! -Steven Universe
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I updated my original post. 

I forgot to mention that $50 medical collection was paid a few years back. (Tried a GW delete a few times, they say no)

I tried to get rid of the student loan lates and Nelnet would not budge. My student loans go into repayment next month; been deferring them for too long.

Wells Fargo will not get rid of any of my 12 month lates on my mortgage history. I have mostly 30 day lates, then a few 60's and the final was 90.

What is the shopping cart trick?

Message 3 of 14
LShawn08
Frequent Contributor

You go to a site you frequent, dump a few items in the cart and proceed to the checkout, if your OPTED IN or QUALIFY for the sites credit citeria, there will be a POP UP right before they start asking for your PAYMENT information.

Keep goodwilling them! Annoy the **** out of them. That's what most people say to do. lol Lates will haunt your score, especially that 90 day.

Check MyFico for what you need as a mix of credit.

Starting Score:TU:791(Dec3), EX:783, EQ:000
Current Score: TU:786(Aug9), EX:776, EQ:782 (Aug8)
Goal Score:820 across all boards

If all pork chops were perfect, we wouldn't have hot dogs! -Steven Universe
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great! Thank you so much for the info!!!!!! I appreciate it!

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

It takes time to rebuild - start with your secured cards and work from there. Creditors look for history of on-time payments to prove your creditworthiness.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you.....Yes, I decided to add two thousand to my current secured card to increase my credit line. Then I will get one or two more secured cards after I do a bit of research on the ones out there.

I have the cash to give myself a nice CL for the sake of utilization, etc. so I guess I will just start there and keep everything current.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

What you need to do is Dispute the car loan that was paid and not a paid charge off. You can either do it yourself or pay someone to do it like Lexington Law. If you are part of a credit union, you can get a secured loan where they loan you 500 and they hold 500 in your account until you pay it back. This establishes payment history. Also, you need a couple more credit cards. Keep the utilization low. Do not apply for anything you know that you will not get approved for. Stay away from First premier bank and credit cards like that. I think you should get a couple more secured cards but some people swear by credit one back. So that is up to you. After a while, if you want to apply for better cards as your score increases, you can use the prequalify links on the credit card websites. All of them mean approval except for discover card. Good luck

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

What you need to do is Dispute the car loan that was paid and not a paid charge off. You can either do it yourself or pay someone to do it like Lexington Law. If you are part of a credit union, you can get a secured loan where they loan you 500 and they hold 500 in your account until you pay it back. This establishes payment history. Also, you need a couple more credit cards. Keep the utilization low. Do not apply for anything you know that you will not get approved for. Stay away from First premier bank and credit cards like that. I think you should get a couple more secured cards but some people swear by credit one back. So that is up to you. After a while, if you want to apply for better cards as your score increases, you can use the prequalify links on the credit card websites. All of them mean approval except for discover card. Good luck

I disagree with 'disputing', if you are referring to CRA disputes. Continually Disputing is a waste of time and only gets you labled a frivolous disputer. This is something that needs to be cleared up with the OC, and possibly may even require court action if they won't budge.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Somebody mentioned being "opted in" to get the pre-approval notices. I remember opting out of such offers somewhere. Is this something I need to change?

Thanks for your help.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.