Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can they still collect?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can they still collect?

I got a letter this week from a CA that is trying to collect for Bell Atlantic. This debt is over 11 years old from New York for a disconnected land line. Well i know it wasn't disconnected for non-payment as I'm almost positive I paid it but its been 11 years so i can't verify this or even remember. Also this is the 1st credit action on it ever, which makes me more suspicious. What should i do? Do i DV, claim SOL or what?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can they still collect?

I would not worry about this AT ALL...they can still attempt to collect...but it's past SOL..and past the time frame for it to be reported to your credit reports...
Message 2 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

issues_much wrote:
I got a letter this week from a CA that is trying to collect for Bell Atlantic. This debt is over 11 years old from New York for a disconnected land line. Well i know it wasn't disconnected for non-payment as I'm almost positive I paid it but its been 11 years so i can't verify this or even remember. Also this is the 1st credit action on it ever, which makes me more suspicious. What should i do? Do i DV, claim SOL or what?

I would DV the CA, just in case they try or have tried to re-age the account. Sly is right, they cannot report, but there was a case not long ago of a JDB CA, I think AFNI, who bought a bunch of old Verizon debt  (some of which was paid by the consumer already years prior), and re-aged much of it to report on people's CR.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. i just looked at it and it is AFNI that is trying to collect and offering a 50% settlement. I'll take one of the DV form letters and send it off now.
Message 4 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

issues_much wrote:
Thanks. i just looked at it and it is AFNI that is trying to collect and offering a 50% settlement. I'll take one of the DV form letters and send it off now.

You are going to have to really fight them. I'm dealing with them myself and they are my last CA. It might take multiple letters, calls to the BBB, letters to the FTC, etc. It is an uphill battle but they are defeatable.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.