Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you dispute a wrong open date?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you dispute a wrong open date?

I was looking at my 3 credit reports and i noticed that a First Premiere charge off has a date opened as 7-1-2015 on Experian and 7-20-15 on Transunion and Equifax. Can i dispute this? It has not gone to collections.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Can you dispute a wrong open date?

The opened date of an OC account is a factual date that should be consistent, regardless of the CRA to which the creditor reported.

Thus, yes, it is a disputable inaccuracy.

However, it is only a 2 week difference, so will have minimal effect on your scoring of length of credit.

A dispute will not require any deletion of the reported account, as deletion only applies to the specific item of information that is subject of the dispute, and an account must have a reported open date.  Thus, resolution of the dispute will simply result in correction of whichever CRA information is determined to be inaccurate.

I would question the value of any such dispute based on the minimal difference in dates.

Message 2 of 3
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: Can you dispute a wrong open date?

Some of the CRA's use the first of the month that the card was opened and  others use the actual date during the month.  This has gone on forever.   It's not likely a winable argument, but you have nothing to lose by trying.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.