Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant get a secured card!!

tag
superdad
Regular Contributor

Cant get a secured card!!

I am not sure what to do, I had a cap1 secured card but ended up in the hospital for a few months and they closed the account.  I dont owe Cap 1 any money.  I talked to them on the phone and said i should apply for a quick silver 1 reward. Which i did but was declined.  GRRRR  I know my CS is around 540 across the board.  Not sure what i can do?  I am worknig on getting the last very small 7 collection accounts paid off but i have NO CC's.  What else can i do to get some sort of CC or?  I want to buy a house in the next year. But my credit profile shows i have NO credit besides bad. The morgage guy i talked to said i should get a couple secured CC's but no one will accpet me.  HELP!!!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: Cant get a secured card!!

SDFCU will give anyone a secured card. No credit check.
Message 2 of 10
superdad
Regular Contributor

Thanks i will look into them also.

Message 3 of 10
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

You can try out for the fingerhut freshstart program, after you complete it, it becomes a revolving tradeline on your credit report.

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 4 of 10
superdad
Regular Contributor

I was able to get a fingerhut account, problem is theres really nothing i need from them  lol

Message 5 of 10
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

I felt the same way, but I wanted a revolving tradeline, so I brought a bedroom set on clearance. I feel like you always need new sheets. Just buy something super small so you're upgraded.

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 6 of 10
tattooedhusker
Established Contributor

You could also look into an OpenSky secured card, they don't run a credit check from what I remember.  That's what kickstarted my credit journey!

NFCU CashRewards $13.5k | AMEX BCE $15k | Lowes $17k | Sportsmanss guide $7.6k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $4.4k |
Walmart $8k | Gordman's $2950
Message 7 of 10
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@superdad wrote:

I am not sure what to do, I had a cap1 secured card but ended up in the hospital for a few months and they closed the account.  I dont owe Cap 1 any money.  I talked to them on the phone and said i should apply for a quick silver 1 reward. Which i did but was declined.  GRRRR  I know my CS is around 540 across the board.  Not sure what i can do?  I am worknig on getting the last very small 7 collection accounts paid off but i have NO CC's.  What else can i do to get some sort of CC or?  I want to buy a house in the next year. But my credit profile shows i have NO credit besides bad. The morgage guy i talked to said i should get a couple secured CC's but no one will accpet me.  HELP!!!

You can get two secured credit cards from First Progress Bank with one online app. I did ... for $300 each and they are both reporting to all three credit bureaus.

Message 8 of 10
nycles

How long ago did Capital one close your secured card?  The same thing happened to me and I was able to reopen a secured card with cap one a year after the first secured card was closed by them. The first secured card was still showing in my credit report with lates and as payed and zero balance. They payed themselves from the securirty deposit and I did not owe them any money. Capital one is very forgiving and they do not blacklist, at least in my experience. You should try applying for a capital one secured card. The quick silver one card you applied for is not a secured card and it's intended for someone with average credit.  If you can apply for a secured card with capital one, you may have a chance of getting the $49/ for a $200 credit line card approval. Best of luck.

Message 9 of 10
polno1234
Contributor

merrick bank secured, free fico score, 17.45% apr, 36.00 annual fee, i was approved with a 488 fico.

Current MERRICK SECURED-$200 EMBLEM MC-$250 EXPRESS NEXT-$350
In the garden till 10/9/14
Fico 8 start 02/15/13 488
Current TU Fico 8 641, EX 734 EQ 740
Goal 650 by 02/15/15
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.