cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap 1 just agreed to delete two 30-day lates and two 60-day lates from 2013.

tag
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Cap 1 just agreed to delete two 30-day lates and two 60-day lates from 2013.

I'm a little embarassed (though happy) to let you know that I just got off the phone with Capital One (having sent an email to their CEO about 10 days ago) wherein I asked that they remove late payments from 6/13, 7/13, 8/13 & 9/13.  

I need to tell you these are for late payments for my spouse and not me.   I did not mention me at all since it was irrelevant.    At the time of my filing my spouse and I were separated, I had moved out, we were on good terms and instead of paying his credit card bills, my spouse paid my rent and living expenses for me instead of paying his credit cards.  Nice guy.

In my email to Cap 1 I pointed out that the card was opened in 2006, it has a 50K limit, and my spouse has a Savor card with a 30K limit.

Those four late payments from 2013 were the only late payments my spouse had ever had with Cap 1 and his FICO 8 sits right now at 800.

I pointed out that these late payments would roll off starting next June, July, August and September, but I was effectively asking them if they would do a favor and effectively offer an "early exclusion" (which I know is a term used for CRA's, not original creditors.)

I wrote a one paragraph note, stated what happened, told them we loved them and we had paid the price for those late payments for a long time.

I nearly wet myself when the rep said they had agreed and all late payments would be removed.   It did not even require them taking the email to someone else for consideration and approval.    They just did it.

So while I'm a constant Debbie downer (or maybe Danny downer to be gender correct) about getting original creditors to remove lates, don't let that stop you from asking.   But keep it short, tell them what happened, appeal to their sense of fairness, flatter them and then politely thank them.

Nothing ever happens unless you ask.   The worst that can happen is they say "no" and you are no worse off than you were before you asked.

Best to all of you.   I will let you know what if any FICO score changes I see.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap 1 just agreed to delete two 30-day lates and two 60-day lates from 2013.

That is great news!
Message 2 of 9
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Cap 1 just agreed to delete two 30-day lates and two 60-day lates from 2013.

Grats!

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Congrats @CH-7-Mission-Accomplished Another prize to hang on the MyFICO wall of rare deletions.

Message 4 of 9
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

I want to make something very CLEAR in this post, and that is that those of us who have been hanging around her for 6 years or more, and have read thousands of posts (my time online is over 150k hours!), don't have all the answers and we tend to get jaded.

Those of use who have been around for a long time tend to think that our answers are the correct answers and only the correct answers.   That's just bunk..   In general ways we can steer people in the right direction, but what happens to you individually depends on your own profile and so many other things.    Be suspiscious when somebody makes an absolutely statement like, "this will never happen" or "this will only happen if," etc., because all of us can only speak to our own experience and the handful of people we have talked to who have had similar experiences.   These are hardly randomized tests with large sample groups and statistically valid margins of error.

So to you newcomers, do be skeptical.    By and large, the advice is accurate.   But it's not foolproof.

And when you are WRONG, please admit it, because that it is more helpful than a thousand approvals, IMHO.

Message 5 of 9
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your success!
Message 6 of 9
FirstClass

Agreed

Message 7 of 9
FirstClass

Argeed 

Message 8 of 9
SleeplessinMA
Regular Contributor

@CH-7-Rebuilding 

Congratulations on your success.  Don't ever be embarassed, life happens.  Its great that you got those

lates removed as Cap One is usually known for not removing lates.  I have read that it happens but

successes are usually few and far between.

Looking foward to see how your credit report changes.   I also have a small string of lates from June of 2013

(30D lates) to July 2013 and have emailed Mr Fairbank late last Friday as well.  Keeping fingers crossed

I get the resolution that I am hoping for.

Wishing you the best of luck on your rebuild.  Congratulations again! 

My Wallet

Installment Loans

Current Scores 5/05/23

Current Mortgage Scores 5/05/23

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.