Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One QS and QS One - Strategy

tag
millionsofmiles
New Contributor

Cap One QS and QS One - Strategy

My BK 13 was discharged on 1/5/21. Cap One approved me for the Platinum on 1/23 with a $3000 CL. 

Last week, I was upgraded to the QS. No CLI as of yet as I haven't been putting a lot on the card since my original account (Platinum) had no rewards program. I'm in the gardening phase,  but decided to check out the Cap One pre-approval link this week.

It offered me three cards: QS One; Platinum and Secured. 

Here's the strategy question...If I were to decide to pause my gardening, would it make sense to apply for the QS One, even though I have the preferable QS? My goal would be to do a PC from QS One to Venture One after 6 months to a year.

I'm right now at around $22,000 in total credit with my FICO 8 scores bumping 700. I do want to continue gardening but I wonder if this strategy is doable.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Irv02
Established Contributor

Re: Cap One QS and QS One - Strategy

Congrats on your rebuilding!!  Personally I say don't do it.  Many people on this forum have picked up the QS1 card, and later found that it is very difficult to PC it to another card ( me included).  Capital One has only been advertising the Secure Platinum, Platinum, and QS1 card for preapproval only.  Save yourself the heartache, save yourself the 3 hard pulls, and stay in the garden where it's safe!  Good luck!

Message 2 of 5
millionsofmiles
New Contributor

Thanks so much, Irv02. I'm taking your advice. Thanks for the great insight!

Message 3 of 5
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

QS and QS1 are basically the same thing. Only difference is the annual fee on the QS1. I laid mine to rest after growing out of the start of the rebuild with the QS1 and got the QS in its place.

Message 4 of 5
SoonerSoldier33
Frequent Contributor

My advice...stay in the garden. Cap One can be so finicky with their 'buckets', and which cards can be PCd or not. You've got the QS. Why pay an annual fee for another QS that you may or may not be able to PC to a Venture later? I would stay the course until you can get a pre-approval for the card you actually want. Nice job on your rebuild so far!

Team Garden Club as of Oct 2021
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.