Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One randomly deleted?!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap One randomly deleted?!

Whats up guys! Been reading and educating myself alot on this forum for months. Im on the rebuild journey and something weird is going on. Let me give you all some background first. My first two cards were Capital One secured cc, $200 Limit and Credit One unsecured, $300 Limit (Yuck I know) back in 2016. Long story short I burned them both and both had gotten charged off by June of 2017 (Broke my ankle, couldnt work). Since then, I have opened a secured credit card with OpenSky and have a $200 Limit as of 2/19. I've been monitoring my Vantage score with Credit Karma and Credit Sesame. Oddly enough I noticed this month that I no longer had Cap One as a charge off on my credit report and my score went up some. (I know this based off of Credit Karma) So my curiousity got the best of me and I went and tried a prequal on Cap One and got pre-approved for a QuickSilver One card! Ofcourse I couldn't resist so I app'd and got approved with a $300 limit. Here comes the weird part. I went and bought the premier package on MyFico just to make sure that Cap One actually is deleted from my report. Cap One is nowhere on my report. I just got some snail mail from Portfolio Recovery charging me the debt that they bought from CapOne, Original debt is $284 and they are asking me to settle it at $227.

So my question is, what should I do? Will this debt collector end up reporting on my credit report? Should I pay em off before they get the chance? Why did Cap One delete in the first place? Was it a lucky error? This is all new to me and I don't really know what steps to take.. All honest advice will be very much appreciated and I thank you all in advanced! Happy Rebuilding!

EDIT: LVNV Funding is the only collections reported on my credit report up until now which is a debt collector for my debt with Credit One.(Verified on MyFico 3B Report)

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Cap One randomly deleted?!

Dont know what could have happened with Cap1 going poof. Never heard of that happening for no reason. But jump all over paying Portfolio. They will remove their entry on your report once paid. It's their policy. But since it isnt there yet. Yes pay it quickly. LVNV wont do the same. Settle with them so it quits updating each month. Credit One is known to do GW's. Hit the search bar above for Credit One Goodwill Success. Many entries. Good Luck!

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

The same thing just happened to me I had 2 charge offs in 2016 one for $10,000 and one for $5000 and out of nowhere the in 2018 they dissapeared so I tried disputing the collection portfolio was reporting and they deleted the collections as well I couldn't believe it and to be honest I still cant and just like you they approved me for another card WOW cap1 is crazy.
Message 3 of 6
Brooklyn2018
Valued Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Dont know what could have happened with Cap1 going poof. Never heard of that happening for no reason. But jump all over paying Portfolio. They will remove their entry on your report once paid. It's their policy. But since it isnt there yet. Yes pay it quickly. LVNV wont do the same. Settle with them so it quits updating each month. Credit One is known to do GW's. Hit the search bar above for Credit One Goodwill Success. Many entries. Good Luck!

+1 @FireMedic1

I'm just taking an educated stab at this^

Is it possible that Portfoilio purchased the debt from Cap1 and that was the cause of the deletion?

Either way? What a lucky deal!! YES JUMP ON IT ASAP!!!

Goal Score: 600(within a year)**MET MY GOAL** | Goal Score: 700**MET MY GOAL** | Goal score: 800
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

>

I❤️NY
Message 4 of 6
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

A new practice I am seeing happen is that when a bank sells a debt to a debt buyer, they delete the original trade line. I've been seeing Citi Bank and Elan Financial Services do this for a while, and it seems Cap1 has also picked this up. To me, it seems they are doing this to avoid any liability for inacvurate credit reporting after a debt is sold and no longer belongs to them. After all, how does it benefit them to continue to report negative info after they sold the debt?

Message 5 of 6
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
The same thing just happened to me I had 2 charge offs in 2016 one for $10,000 and one for $5000 and out of nowhere the in 2018 they dissapeared so I tried disputing the collection portfolio was reporting and they deleted the collections as well I couldn't believe it and to be honest I still cant and just like you they approved me for another card WOW cap1 is crazy.

@Ductaper there is a principle for credit reporting that you cannot simultaneously owe two creditors for the same balance. If your report is showing an original trade line with a balance and a collection with the same balance, then both of those creditors have violated what is called double jeopoardy. They are reporting inaccurate information becvause you cannot owe tow people for the same balance. That's why I was mentioning earlier that this new practice of the original bank deleting their trade line after selling debt seems to be happening more frequently. However, they do retain the right to mark it as charged-off and sold/transferred with a $0 blanace. That would be accurate reporting, but it seems some of the banks are skipping that route altogether and just deleting.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.