Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 updated wrong lates info on EQ after dispute

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap1 updated wrong lates info on EQ after dispute

Hey All,

I recently settled a CO with Cap1, and after it was processed it didnt update on EQ, so I filed a dispute with them hoping it would speed up the process. Well, during that time it updated and my score went up to 694. Then, my EQ score was updated again at the beginning of this month and it went down 20 points to 674. I'm not sure if it was because of the dispute. I went to check my EQ CR and saw the lates were updated. I have 5 lates with Cap1 you can see below and it was updated to the right. It's supposed to be 5 lates in a row from 30-120 days and it was updated to only two 120 lates, and my 90 late on September 2016 was turned into a 120 day late. I'm unsure why this happened, or if this update is why my score went down 20 points after having gone up 40+ points post settlement. 

Not sure why this happened at all. Can I dispute this as incorrect information and have this account removed from my CR, or would it simply update to the correct lates, dingng my score again?

lates.png

5 REPLIES 5
simplegirl
Valued Contributor

Re: Cap1 updated wrong lates info on EQ after dispute

It will maybe update to correct lates or not at all but it will not be removed.

Starting Score: 494 503 521
Current Score: 503 507 507 2/19
Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Goals:

Get First Home in Summer 2025
Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

During the pendency of a dispute, certain OC account information is temporarily excluded from scoring until the dispute is concluded.

Let the dispute conclude and the pending dispute marker then removed, and scoring should resume to normal.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I requested a free EQ credit report through annual credit report and saw that the lates are correct on there, but the the "Delinquency first reported" (NOT Date of first Delinquency) is wrong, it should be in Jan 2017 but it's updated to 9/2020. I'm guessing this is because of the dispute and why my score went down after it was resolved. It must show as a fresh delinquency. Is this correct/okay? Can/should this be disputed or does it not really matter?

Message 4 of 6
DebtStinks
Established Contributor

Ditto what another person stated in that your score on some models excludes disputed accounts while still in dispute. Looking at your pictures and reading your statement, I don't think there would be a difference in your score(s) as long as the most delinquent of 120+/charge off/N isn't changed to a more recent date since those statuses are all worse than 30/60/90 day lates.

To sum up, keep working on your credit and simply ensure that the reports aren't updated to reflect 120+/charge off/N in a month later than it actually occured.

Meanwhile, now that it's settled, you should see a fairly steady increase in your scores since the "N" or negative/CO status should no longer be reported.

Good luck in your credit journey!

NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 (Opened 1/19) - NFCU Platinum $21000 (Opened 1/21) - TTCU Platinum Visa $10000 (Opened 10/18) - Discover $5500 (Opened 11/21) - Barclays View MC $5000 (Opened 1/19) - Capital One Platinum $3500 (Opened 2/19) - Capital One World Elite MC $1000 (Opened 3/21) - Target Store Card $2000 (Opened 10/18) - Floor & Decor Store Card $42500 (Opened 10/18)
Closed - PenFed $35,000 - Cap1 World Elite MC $11,200
Total CL - $115500

CH7 BK Filed 8/1/17 Discharged 11/7/17

Scores as of 2/18/21:

Inquiries Last 12 Months:
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I requested a free EQ credit report through annual credit report and saw that the lates are correct on there, but the the "Delinquency first reported" (NOT Date of first Delinquency) is wrong, it should be in Jan 2017 but it's updated to 9/2020. I'm guessing this is because of the dispute and why my score went down after it was resolved. It must show as a fresh delinquency. Is this correct/okay? Can/should this be disputed or does it not really matter?

"Delinquency first reported" has no bearing on anything.

When you dispute it is updated, so it doesn't change anything if "Delinquency first reported" changes. It doesn't affect DoFD, either, so there is nothing to dispute regarding that date.

The update in itself because of disputing dings you unless the account is deleted. Damage is already done.

Since the lates were changed/modified, that technically is when the delinquency was first reported.

At least the 30/60/90d late are gone. The 120d will still hurt until the account ages off. Had the lates stayed the same, the account would have aged off 2 months earlier, but since they changed, it will be an additional 2 months wait. I would leave it be at this point and let it age off quietly.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.