Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Credit Steps Increase!

tag
mmb
Established Member

Capital One Credit Steps Increase!

I got the Capital One Cash Rewards card back in January with the typical $500 limit and I got a letter from Cap1 stating that I'd see an increase to $750 after my fourth or fifth consecutive payment, blah blah. I just made a payment to them for my fifth statement and am actually carrying a bit of a balance still, of about $100. When I logged onto my account today, I saw that my limit increase had gone through - to $2500!! I was so taken aback I actually had to log onto their live chat just to make sure it was accurate! Haha, I'm sure the CS rep thought I was crazy, but it just seemed like such a huge increase to me. 

I'm beyond thrilled. I'm still not yet ready to be approved for a real prime card, but this should hopefully help me with my scores and my utiliization - I was currently hovering around 30%, but now with this new balance, my overall util is probably closer to 10%! I'm so glad that I spent the time and money in the last two years to clean up everything in my credit - I had so much old debt and I sucked it up and spent a few thousand dollars in cleaning it up and my scores have gone from an abysmal median score of 470 to about 660. 

Eeee, so happy! Hopefully this means that other folks should be seeing similar increases. Good luck!

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
CreditChampion
Frequent Contributor

Re: Capital One Credit Steps Increase!

YMMV=Crapital One

You should have been cli to $750...but congrats!

Fico Scores:800+Club

Marvel MC 25K AMEX BCE 18K AMEX Blue Sky 13.6K AMEX BCE 13.5K AMEX Zync
NPSL(AU) Citi Double Cash 14.5K PenFed Plat Rewards 14.5K Citi Forward 10.3k Discover it 9.5K Wells Fargo Cash Back 7.2K BankAmericard Better Balance $700 Chase Freedom $500 Capital One Quicksilver $6K Capital One Platinum (AU) $500 Capital One Secured Card (AU) $251(Closed) PenFed PLOC 14K
PenFed Promise 5K
Message 2 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good job with rebuilding.

Congrats on the increase!! I'm looking forward to my $750+ when I pay to CC after the 5th statement.

Keep up the good work!!

Message 3 of 34
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

you mite to post your balance of your last 6 months ? and how you using it ?

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 4 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! I havent seen anyone the forums see an increase that high before on the credit steps program...

Message 5 of 34
ninjamike81
Regular Contributor

i also have the same card and 500 limit.  does any one know if you can get the increse only once or does that happen every 6 or more cycles

Starting Score: TU 583, EX 683, EQ 653
Current Score: 10/12/14 TU 743 9/24/2014 EQ FICO 751,12/17/2014 EXPERIAN 772
Goal Score: 750

WALLET: CAP ONE UNSEC $2000, WALMART $3800, CITI SIMPLICITY $3600, DISCOVER IT $2000, BBRZ $2200, AMEX BCE $24,500, CHASE FREEDOM 10,500 KAWASAKI GOOD TIMES CARD $31,500
Message 6 of 34
mmb
Established Member

@nicholasyud, I typically carry a balance on that card of around $50 - 100, with the $500 limit I had. I think the most I ever used on the card was about $350 or so. Since I have 0% interest on that card until the middle of next year, that's the one I don't mind carrying a balance on. I have another Cap1 card and an Orchard Bank card that I typically pay in full every month. 

@ninjamike81, I feel like this one increase is the only one? I haven't seen much elsewhere with people saying they got an additional limit increase after the one promised with the Credit Steps program.

Message 7 of 34
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

i paid my balance in full every month and its seem like they never give a damn about my payment history. I need some credit increase and call in every single month but never get success.....any one ?

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 8 of 34
chryanna
New Contributor

Hm. This might be a different card, right? Cash reward vs. Credit Steps.  Otherwise, I'm going to start finger-crossing for the same Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 34
mmb
Established Member

@chryanna, it is a Cash Rewards card through the Credit Steps program. Even my recent limit increase letter still states it's Credit Steps.

And clearly this is an anomaly, because I just called Orchard Bank all full of myself and expecting an increase... and I got one, but it's just $150! So I went from $320 to $470 (what a random number). I'm keeping it solely because it's my oldest (18 months old) of my new cards since I started rebuilding and I want to keep that positive tradeline.

Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.