Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Goodwill Letter Accepted

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Goodwill Letter Accepted

Hello,

First post here, but I have been lurking for a while! I figured this info might help someone, so here it goes:

I have been working on building and establishing my credit since about four years ago. I had only a few negative items (a couple medical collections, two 30 day late payments), but had never really had any credit established until 2016 (I'm in my late 20's, and no one impressed upon me the importance of establishing credit growing up). Over the last couple years I paid off and had all medical collections but one removed from my report, and the final negative items on my credit report other than this were two 30 day late payments (both from August, 2018, missed due to being out of work for medical reasons), one on an auto loan, and one on a credit card. Both credit card and auto loan are through Capital One. After reading through some posts on the forums here, I decided last month to give a goodwill adjustment letter a shot.

It worked! I was contacted a few days ago by the office of the CEO and told Captial One would be revising both payments to paid as agreed. These revisions have already showed up on my credit report.

I started the process by calling Capital One cistomer service. After working my way up the chain, I was told by a manager that they did not offer a goodwill program and couldnt help me. So dont get discouraged if you call and they tell you this. I wrote a letter to the CEO (and emailed a copy as well). Some from the "Office of the President" called within a week, and stated they would investigate. A week or so later, and I got the call letter me know that they would be revising my payment history. 

A couple things that probably helped my case if you decide to try this:

1. I had no other missed payments and both accounts were current within a day or two of me noticing they were 30 days late.

2. My payment history after this was perfect.

3. Before I tried this, I paid down all credit cards (even the few not with Captial One), and kept utilization low for about 4 months. I still used the cards, but would pay the balance off basically as soon as charges posted. They probably saw this and it most likely weighed in my favor.

4. I gave them a somewhat legitimate reason for my missed payments. I also attached documentation (In this case an FMLA letter from my employer that I got from HR) that showed I wasnt lying about this. 

5. I stated in the letter why I would like them removed. I am in the process of buying my first home, so I let them know that.

6. I implied in the letter that they should do this to keep an otherwise good customer happy, and they would continue to have me as a customer. Business is business, after all. Dont forget that your ARE a customer.

This revision looked like it boosted my scores by 20 - 30 points. A copy of the letter is below. I actually used a template I found on this site, and made some revisions. Again, hope this helps someone!

Date

Richard D. Fairbank
Chief Executive Officer
Capital One Finance Corporation
1680 Capital One Dr
McLean, VA 22102-3491

RE: (My Name) – “Goodwill” Adjustment for missed payments

Dear Mr. Fairbank,

I have been a Capital One Auto Finance and Capital One Mastercard customer since (date) and during that time, I have enjoyed my experience greatly. I am writing to request you be willing to make a "goodwill" adjustment to your reporting to the three credit agencies. I have one late payment on an Auto Loan (account # --------------, 30 day past due payment in ------) and one late payment on a Capital One Platinum Mastercard (card # ----------, 30 day past due payment in ------). I have had an exceptional payment history and have not had a single missed payment on any of my Capital One accounts since this time.

Because of my otherwise exceptional payment history over the last --- years, I would like you to please consider removing the negative payments from my credit report. At the time of the late payments, I was out of work due to an unforeseen medical issue, and immediately brought my accounts up to date the following month although I was still out of work for most of --------. I have also attached documentation from my employer proving I was in fact absent due to a legitimate medical issue. I say that not to justify why the payment was late, but rather to show that the late payments are not a good indicator of my actual historical credit worthiness. I hope that Capital One is willing to work with me on erasing these marks from my credit reports.

My wife and I are currently in the process of buying our first home, and these late payments are the only detrimental items currently reflected on my credit report. I have been a very happy customer in the past and hope to continue a long relationship with Capital One. With today’s credit industry so competitive, I know how important it is to maintain good relationships with customers. Capital One has been exceptional in my book so far and I highly recommend it to all my friends and relatives. I hope that you will deeply consider my request and prove once again, why Capital One is heads above the rest. I look forward to your reply.

I may be reached via email at (my email address) or by phone at (my phone #).

Sincerely,

13 REPLIES 13
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Capital One Goodwill Letter Accepted

Good job, thanks for sharing it and welcome to myFico Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 14
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Grats!

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 14
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your success! Thank you for sharing the information. It will help future members.
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on your success! I'm too trying to remove some of late payments. Do you mind sharing the info to contact capital one.

thanks!

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations!! 

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there! Congrats to you! Question- how much time passed between you sending the email and getting a call back? Asking because I sent one out on Sunday and I am eagerly hoping for a phone call back. 

thanks!

Message 7 of 14
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi there! Congrats to you! Question- how much time passed between you sending the email and getting a call back? Asking because I sent one out on Sunday and I am eagerly hoping for a phone call back. 

thanks!

Can't answer for OP, but in my own case I had sent them a few letters between March and June, and only ever got rejections from any of them (sometimes by phone, sometimes by mail). I gave up and quit sending letters, but about 2-3 months after the last letter I sent, my old cap1 accounts got removed unexpecedly.

So it was kind of weird. They were always very quick to reject me within a couple days of sending letters, but when they finally deleted them it took a couple months and they never even told me they were going to do it.

I believe it was a letter I sent to just their normal mailing address listed on my credit report, that finally got the deletion. I sent one to the CEO office but that one got a phone call and rejection. The only other place I ever sent letters was their normal PO box.

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 8 of 14
Swayskywalker

Hi MyFico Members,

OP glad to hear a successful outcome. I'm sending in my letter in today. I have one missed payment from 2017 and have been a CO member since 2014. this is the address that was given to me, from what the rep told me its their credit bureau department. wish me luck. 

Capital One

P.O. Box 31293

Salt Lake City, UT 84131-1293

Message 9 of 14
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

@Swayskywalker wrote:

Hi MyFico Members,

OP glad to hear a successful outcome. I'm sending in my letter in today. I have one missed payment from 2017 and have been a CO member since 2014. this is the address that was given to me, from what the rep told me its their credit bureau department. wish me luck. 

Capital One

P.O. Box 31293

Salt Lake City, UT 84131-1293

That's the address I used for most of my letters, which I believe is where the letter that was ultimately successful went to.

Given that you're only trying to remove one late from 3 years ago, I'd say you have pretty good chances for success. I was able to have them remove two entire charged off accounts that were more recent than that.

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.