Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Judgement AND collection?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Judgement AND collection?

Let me give you guys a little background information. I defaulted on a Capital One credit card back in 2017 and it got charged off for $1495. A few months later I got sued by Capital One through a law firm called Scott and Associates. I set up a payment plan with them and paid. my balance down to $1294 and stopped paying after that. I never heard from the law firm again. My credit report shows Capital One charge off for $1495 and also a collections account with The Bureaus INC for $1294. I ended up paying The Bureaus the $1294 last week. I asked them if they would delete off my credit and they said is not their decision, but Capital One. Today I tried calling Capital One credit card department to check if they still owned the debt but my call got routed to Scott and Associates. I spoke to a very nice lady who said the $1495 is from a judgement and that is separate from the collection account I just paid. She offered me to settle for $800. I told her I was going to consult with someone before taking her offer and she was fine with it, she wasn't pushy or tried to thread me or anything like that. 

So my question is... Is it allowed for them to collect on a judgement AND and collection account? I would end up paying like $2700 all together. It feels unfair but I need to know if that how it really is before I waste my time disputing. 

Thanks everyone

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
vntrsc
Frequent Contributor

Re: Capital One Judgement AND collection?

If Cap1 sold the account, it would report a $0 balance.

Did you get anything in writing from The Bureaus identifying the account on which you paid $1294?

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I remember getting bills from them a while back. But I also got a bill from Scott and Associates. This is confusing. I hope I didn't pay the wrong people 

Message 3 of 13
simplegirl
Valued Contributor

This is confusing. Did they get a Jude gene that against you? Because if they did there could have been court fees added to the balance. Also did you start on a payment plan and not finish? 

Starting Score: 494 503 521
Current Score: 503 507 507 2/19
Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Goals:

Get First Home in Summer 2025
Message 4 of 13
vntrsc
Frequent Contributor

Before you paid The Bureaus, did you contact that agency?  Are they going to send you a letter stating what account the $1294 settled?

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@simplegirl wrote:

This is confusing. Did they get a Jude gene that against you? Because if they did there could have been court fees added to the balance. Also did you start on a payment plan and not finish? 

Yes, they got a judgment against me. The judgment was $1495 and I had done a payment plan that brought the balance down to $1294. That's what The Bureaus INC was collecting and I paid them. But now the law firm wants me to pay them the original amount ($1495). 

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@vntrsc wrote:

Before you paid The Bureaus, did you contact that agency?  Are they going to send you a letter stating what account the $1294 settled?

The Bureaus sent me a PIF receipt showing me the account was owned by Capital One so I'm good with them. Now my only issue is that law firm. Why do I need to pay them if I already paid the collection agency?

Message 7 of 13
vntrsc
Frequent Contributor

I'd contact the law firm and send it a copy of the receipt.  It's possible The Bureaus was collecting for Scott & Assoc.  If that's the case, it might be that the lady you spoke to did not have the correct or updated information.

In any case, contact the law firm ASAP.  

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@vntrsc wrote:

I'd contact the law firm and send it a copy of the receipt.  It's possible The Bureaus was collecting for Scott & Assoc.  If that's the case, it might be that the lady you spoke to did not have the correct or updated information.

In any case, contact the law firm ASAP.  

I called the law firm today and they pretty much told me a judgment and a collection are separate. They wanted me to pay the $1495 they showed on their system and even offered to settle for about half.  

Message 9 of 13
simplegirl
Valued Contributor

Since they did get an actual judgement against you and you starting paying then stopped you may have caused some type of problem. I can't speak on judgements but you should really contact an attorney on this.

Starting Score: 494 503 521
Current Score: 503 507 507 2/19
Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Goals:

Get First Home in Summer 2025
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.