cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Manipulation of Reporting Date?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Manipulation of Reporting Date?

I sent a paid in full check to Capital One a couple of weeks ago, which they have not cashed yet, on a charge-off account.

Over the last week, strange activity has been happening on my report.

The data is consistent now with all three bureaus:
Opened Date:  08/28/2003
Reported Date:  07/01/2008

Capital One has reported this as "new account information" three times within a week span.  Now, the  "Reported Date" shows 07/01/2008 when the real derogatory reporting began in 2004.

I assume this will (1) affect my FICO score more negatively because it looks like more of a recent collection than it is and (2) will allow the item, paid or not, to stay on 7 years from today.

My questions are:
1.  Are my above assumptions correct
2.  If they are, how to I fight Capital "The Great Satan" One and/or all bureaus since I'm the little guy?

I'm doing the right thing.  I sent them a $1000 check to pay in full, didn't even attempt a PFD.  They seem to be repaying my integrity by manipulating reporting dates to screw me good.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Capital One Manipulation of Reporting Date?

"Report Date" is the date they updated the CRA (today). It isn't bad. Your score won't drop because of that date. In fact, you may see an increase because your utilization just went down.

Ideally, you would have wanted to do a PFD with them. However, CapOne is famous for saying "NO". There is a very rare on or two success stories in here somewhere. I've sent dozens of PFDs to them for DW since last August and all I every get is a "NO". Plus you are better off because they won't sue, and likely they would have.

This acct will drop off 7 yrs from DOFD not payment. Very possibly at the 7 yr mark, they will update the report and make the account appear good for another 3 yrs.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm loving the "Great Satan" reference!  They are real boogers  Smiley Wink
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess my concern is that on my Truecredit credit alerts they are coming through on the alerts as a "New Account".  This worries me as other monthly updates from other creditors haven't been showing up like this.

I worry about this reporting date because I have a Citi paid collection with a reporting date of 2006, when it actually was charged off in 2001 and has been reporting since then.  But, Citi somehow changed the reporting date and as much as I dispute, all of the credit agencies tell me that it's on my report from 7 years after reporting date.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.