Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One PC/Upgrade

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One PC/Upgrade

@Anonymous wrote:

I currently have a Cap 1 Platinum and a QS1.  I just checked their site and it says that I'm pre-qualified for a standard visa Quicksilver.  Both of my accounts are new, the QS1 has 2 statements and a credit line of $500 with $0 balance....my Platinum has 1 statement, a credit line of $1000 and a $0 balance that I'm going to charge $70 (7%) on before the 2nd statement cuts in a few days.

I already tried a CLI request but both want 3 statements before approved.

What is the strategy?  Should I wait for 3 statements on both then CLI on both and then upgrade or....not sure.  Any assistance would be appreciated.

Credit bio:

CCT FICO scores on 2/3/16 are EX 628  TU 644  EQ 639 (they were all in the low to mid 500's in November)

Usage 3%

AAOA 2.2-3.2 years with mostly all new credit in the past 3 months.  I have 3 older closed accounts.

3 Bank Credit Cards Cap1 Plat, Cap 1 QS1 and Wells Fargo Secured

Retail: Walmart, Eddie Bauer, NY&Co., Overstock, BrylaneHome

Settled BofA CO.  Last late on 2 reports 3/14

No collections (thanks to the forum for help getting those purged)

1 Personal loan from Wells Fargo balance $2800 (93% of original balance)  I used the money that I had to pay off collections to fund a secured personal loan with BofA and used the proceeds to pay off the collections Smiley Happy

No lates on anything exept the old BofA

Just keep requesting every few days. I got mine about two-three weeks after the second statement. Went from $500 to $1500.

If you are Pre-qualled for the QS visa, I would go for it. The QS is usually a $3K SL and I think it has a $100 spending bonus.

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE:  I went on the chat tonight and they offered to convert my 6-weeks old Platinum card to a Quicksilver Rewards card.  Neither card has an annual fee. Before the chat was over he directed me to the webiste to request a CLI and I figure what the heck!  I first tried my QS1 which is 2 statements old and a credit line of $500.....drumroll.....approved......new credit lilne $1500....AND it's already reflected in my available credit.  Woot.  I got a thumbs down on the newer card that I just converted to the rewards card but it only has 1 statement so far an started at $1k so I'm ok with that. 

Thanks for the help and encouragement!

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

awesome info its glad to see that it is possible to get the conversion a little early. Thanks for sharing your results.  Its also cool to see the increase so soon.  Smiley Happy  I will be doing the same once a some time passes (i also just got these two cards)

Message 13 of 18
debtfighter
New Contributor

Want to PC from QS1 mastercard to regular QS. Does anyone know if Cap1 does a hard pull for a PC?

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@debtfighter wrote:

Want to PC from QS1 mastercard to regular QS. Does anyone know if Cap1 does a hard pull for a PC?

I think the answer is no but you can do it through chat or call in so you can ask someone first. Even with an HP it would be worth it though (IMHO). The QS1 has to be older than 6mths to PC if it was in the steps program.

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

SAILQUEEN - Congrats on your success!  Smiley Happy

So here is an update for me - 

I initiated a chat and was able to upgrade the platinum to a QS1, though there will still be an annual fee of 19 (not 39).  When I pressed the guy, he said that it could not be waived.

I asked if there was anything I could change my existing QS1 to, but he said there were no offers at this time for that card.   So now I have two QS1 cards - I'm happy that both cards will earn rewards now.  Anything was better than the platinum LOL.   Although, I have to admit, it seems as though a lot of folks on the thread get more love from Cap One a lot sooner than 6 months - I don't know if it has to do with the fact that I started out with a pretty decent limit?

So here's what I was thinking.  According to the prequal link, I prequalify for the Venture, Venture One and regular QS Visa.  I was thinking that next month, when I pay the balances off, and hopefully see a decent score boost, I would apply for a VentureOne and a reg QS, and at some point down the road, combine the 2 QS1.   That would initially be 4 cards, but ultimately 3 after the account combination.  Any thoughts as to whether this is a good idea?

Now when they say the 2 cards you want to combine have to be 6 months old, does this mean I have to wait six months from now, since the platinum card just turned into a QS1?  It does have the same account number, so I'm not sure, and I forgot to ask.

Any thoughts?   Thanks in advance!

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

After reading this thread decided to take the plunge and try to PC my QS1 to a regular QS (no annual fee) and was sucessful.

Did it on the chat, took about 5 minutes. 

My QS1 account is about 5 months old and on the credits steps program.

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

SAILQUEEN - Congrats on your success!  Smiley Happy

So here is an update for me - 

I initiated a chat and was able to upgrade the platinum to a QS1, though there will still be an annual fee of 19 (not 39).  When I pressed the guy, he said that it could not be waived.

I asked if there was anything I could change my existing QS1 to, but he said there were no offers at this time for that card.   So now I have two QS1 cards - I'm happy that both cards will earn rewards now.  Anything was better than the platinum LOL.   Although, I have to admit, it seems as though a lot of folks on the thread get more love from Cap One a lot sooner than 6 months - I don't know if it has to do with the fact that I started out with a pretty decent limit?

So here's what I was thinking.  According to the prequal link, I prequalify for the Venture, Venture One and regular QS Visa.  I was thinking that next month, when I pay the balances off, and hopefully see a decent score boost, I would apply for a VentureOne and a reg QS, and at some point down the road, combine the 2 QS1.   That would initially be 4 cards, but ultimately 3 after the account combination.  Any thoughts as to whether this is a good idea?

Now when they say the 2 cards you want to combine have to be 6 months old, does this mean I have to wait six months from now, since the platinum card just turned into a QS1?  It does have the same account number, so I'm not sure, and I forgot to ask.

Any thoughts?   Thanks in advance!

You can combine the two cards once six months has passed since they where opened not PC'ed also the card you are transferring the CL from must have a zero balance. As far as applying for two cards next month Capital One has a policy only one application every six months.
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.