Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Struggles

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Struggles

Hahaha well at least I got a laugh out of this 😂😂 Well thank you so much for the help!
Message 11 of 18
LenaLuthor
Contributor

Im just here to pile on  about Cap 1 too. I have a QS credit card with them at a 950 limit.  a year ago I requested a limit increase which is how I went from 500 to 950.    Since then I have paid that card off in full.   All of my other cards are paid off and have 1100 limits.   Becaise I wanted this one to match the others , I asked for a limit increase  from 950 to 1100.  Their response:  My monthly payments o - on time by the way -  weren't high enouogh.  I always paid doouble my minium payment.  I  just find it hilarious is all.  Oh CapOne.  do better lol 

Message 12 of 18
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Capital One likes a lot of usage, but they also like payment in full. 

So, continue using your cards like you normally would and  pay them off in full each month

Cap One will consider an increase every 181 days, so if it's been that long since your last CLI, try to pay in full for at least three additional months before requesting another one. 

Message 13 of 18
doredeb
New Contributor

I feel your pain and then some.  You may have missed my earlier thread.  My three year old QS (supposedly “better” than QS1) won’t budge past $850.  My FICOs range from 770 - 790.  On the same day last month that Cap1 turned me down yet again for a CLI, I apped a second AMEX and was approved instantly with a 20K limit. I was pre-qualed for virtually every card AMEX offers.  My QS finally went into a drawer....I’m done with them.  I’m pre-qualed for both the Savor and Venture as well, but honestly, I’m not wasting hard pulls on them (they pull all three).  For what it’s worth, if you’re already an AMEX cardholder, they only soft pull (in my case, only EQ and EXP) when you open another card.  Nice! 

Message 14 of 18
doredeb
New Contributor

• @Remedios wrote:

So, continue using your cards like you normally would and  pay them off in full each month

Cap One will consider an increase every 181 days, so if it's been that long since your last CLI, try to pay in full for at least three additional months before requesting another one. 

This sure didn’t work for me.  Three years...never carried a balance.  Not only paid in full each month, I made multiple payments each month.  Some have suggested Cap1 does NOT like it when you pay in full, and at least in my case, It sure appears to be true. 

Message 15 of 18
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Remediosis correct. But there are many factors that Cap1's computer looks at to make decisions. The entire credit side is computer driven. So no one knows what it all entails when it comes to a CLI. It might be 1 little thing thats holding you back. We'll never know. But the percentage is high that what was mentioned works. It did for me.

Message 16 of 18
StillKicking
Contributor

I've got two Cap1 cards, the Platnium and QS. I've used the Plat maybe 2-3 times over the last 6-7 years it's been SD and currently has a $750 limit. I've never requested a CLI as I never use it. I keep it around because it my oldest card.

The QS with 1.5% CB (not the QS1) I've had 3-4 years and hammer it pretty hard on a monthly basis. $3-5K a month and PIF EVERY month. Has a limit of $15500 and I've only ever requested one CLI which last month for $3K.

I must agree with Firemedic - Cap1 likes large charges and PIF every month. And a few weeks ago, out of curiosity I went to the pre-qual page and almost every card they offer came up. And that's with a BK7 on my reports.

Fico 8 Scores 10-19-20
Message 17 of 18
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@doredeb wrote:

• @Remedios wrote:

This sure didn’t work for me.  Three years...never carried a balance.  Not only paid in full each month, I made multiple payments each month.  Some have suggested Cap1 does NOT like it when you pay in full, and at least in my case, It sure appears to be true. 

I cant tell what your profile looks like, you don't have a signature but there is another factor involved for those who cannot get a CLI from them,  and that's where in ABS (commonly referred to as "bucket" around here)you were placed.

If approved when profile is in terrible shape, those cards go quickly no where. 

Basically, one of those that may have a better luck when profile improves and new application is approved.

Capital One starter cards are not keepers, but they will do their job.

Not every card from them will grow. Most people will be able to get some kind of increase by following what's normally recommended for any issuer, which is use and pay. 

Some dont require heavy use for CLI, but none oppose it, as long as they get paid back.

If your card is one of the hopeless ones, I'd start spending my money with a different kender.

Using that one does not guarantee you any favors with them, as each approval with cap one is based on it's own merit 

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.