Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One late payments and collection that was recalled

tag
Aramos
New Contributor

Capital One late payments and collection that was recalled

Hello everyone!

I have been a member for a long time and have had a struggle going up and going down in my scores. I am finally so close to having a completely clean record and want to turn to the community for this last bit.

Collection:

I have a single collection account that I actually contacted the hospital and they pulled back the account from collections from MDS(Medical Data Systems). I got the notification within a week or two on MyFico that it was removed from Transunion and Experian but it is still displaying on Equifax. Just curious as to how long it takes for it to be removed as I actually have to make the first payment from the payment plan tomorrow (26th) and my score on the other 2 jumped roughly 16-20 pts.

Capital One:

I have two accounts that have late payments and I am trying to figure out the best way of going about removing them.

1. CO Auto Finance:
    • 30 day late 9/2019
  2. CO Credit Card:
    • 30 day late 8/2016
    • 60 day late 9/2016
    • 30 day late 12/2016
    • 60 day late 1/2017
    • 30 day late 2/2017
    • 60 day late 3/2017
    • 30 day late 11/2017

As for the CC I am a bit confused as to how there are sequential 30->60->30->60 lates from 12/2016 to 3/2017. Could this have any logic or grounds to remove the lates?

Finally, I have read a GW campaign is a good method but some have been able to just either chat or call to get them removed. I also read to try and list all the lates in one go and to not try to split them up. Would this be the best approach as technically I think the CC might have the best chance as it has had perfect payments since 11/2017 so they may be more willing to do that as opposed to the 2019 late on the auto loan?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Michizane
Regular Contributor

Re: Capital One late payments and collection that was recalled

The auto loan will be easier for them to approve since it is just one. But neither of them will be easy...it is will hard to get them to remove lates that are spread out like that, but I would suggest getting someone from Capital One to review your statement for those months (if they are no longer available online). Because those look like you were late for 4 straight months...and if that is the case and they correct, it could be worse since you will add 90+ days to your account. I would highly recommend you understand if you were actually late for those months in a row...if not, then that could be grounds for removal of just those lates. 

I myself was able to get Capital One 30,60 day lates removes about 3-4 weeks ago...and this was after I was rejected in January. I was able to speak to a lady after reviewing my statements and asking why Equifax said 60,90 lates on my report for those lates. She transfered me to a different department's supervisor who asked me to explain why I was late and she just approved a goodwill on the phone (and I was not specifically calling for a goodwill since I already gave up). It might have helped that I had 2 other Capital One accounts that were never late. 

Message 2 of 6
Aramos
New Contributor

I want to preface this as it is embarassing and I was going through a rough, and young, time and obviously have been doing better since. So I went through the statements and this is what I found.

• June 2016 Statement: Paid
  • July 2016 Statement: Not Paid
  • August 2016 Statement: Not Paid
  • September 2016 Statement: Paid a portion
  • October 2016 Statement: Paid a portion
  • November 2016 Statement: Paid a portion
  • Decemeber 2016 Statement: Not Paid
  • January 2017 Statement: Not Paid
  • February 2017 Statement: Paid a portion
  • March 2017 Statement: Not Paid
  • April 2017 Statement: Paid
  • October 2017 Statement: Not Paid
  • November 2017 Statement: Not Paid
  • December 2017 Statement: Paid

I am a bit confused as it seems that CO had a grace period of one month before reporting as can be seen comparing the first post and this one in which for example I did not pay in July 2016 but only August 2016 was reported as 30 day late.

I am also confused as to why when I paid a portion it seems that sometimes it reset the clock on late payments, as can be seen on Decemeber 2016 and Feb 2017 being 30 days, but not on others like September 2016.

Either way, does the advice still stand or is it best to let it go at this point? This is obviously different than the car so I should still attempt a removal for the auto loan?

Message 3 of 6
Michizane
Regular Contributor

TBH I am not sure of how Capital One categorizes paying a portion of a payment...So I would speak to someone who can review your statement at Capital One for that whole period. They should confirm whether you were considered "late" on those months where you paid a portion. I know that credit card companies might put you on a hardship plan and allow lesser payments, but I am not sure if that's what you did or they will acknowledge you only paying a portion. So it is important to validate with Capital One how they interpreted your payments for those months BEFORE you try to goodwill or dispute. 

In short, you have nothing to lose requesting a goodwill on late payments that are reporting correctly (especially if the account is currently in good standing). Where you might have something to lose is if Capital One sees that they made a mistake and corrects it to say you were 90+ days late. 

Message 4 of 6
Aramos
New Contributor

Does anyone know if this could be deemed as a mistake and the late get updated to 90 and subsequently 120 days? If this is even remotely possible due to the partial payments I would rather just let everything age off as opposed to GW since the age off point is about 2 years and 10 months from now.

Message 5 of 6
Aramos
New Contributor

I apologize for the multiple posts back to back but as no one is responding it pushes my post down when other posts are being responded to.

I understand this is an odd situation, maybe even a complete one off, but does anyone have any idea or general advice as to whether I should submit the GW email. I really don't want my literally last negatives on my report that age off in 2.5 years to get updated to a 90 day late and it hurt me even worse especially when I am this close to having a clean report.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.