Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital one goodwill to do or not to do

tag
treschic
Frequent Contributor

Capital one goodwill to do or not to do

I have a 30 day day late on my capital one credit card and auto loan. I initially had autopay but the bank account linked to that autopay was compromised. I didn’t realize the accounts weren’t being paid until I logged in and saw Thr account had 0 dollars. Long story short this of course has dropped my scores and I’m hoping to get a mortgage within thr next few months.

I’m a bit confused bc I have seen stories to send goodwill letters to get them to remove lates as this is the only time I’ve been late and previously paid my bill biweekly. But other articles are saying do not send goodwill letters bc they no longer work and they cannot remove the lates and if you admit to fault those marks will stay, and they can only remove if it’s due to a glitch.

I’m so confused. Please give any advice thanks
14 REPLIES 14
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Re: Capital one goodwill to do or not to do

They may or may not work. When they do, they're worth the effort. Take a look at this thread for suggestions:

The Saturation Technique: Best GW adjustment odds

Message 2 of 15
Thaitea007
Regular Contributor

As for Captial 1 GW letters may not work, I found only one post on here where one person got a late removed but this was by emailing the CEO. 

I have tried twice with GW letters to Cap 1.. thus far to remove 2 30 day lates I have on the 6-year-old platinum card. lates were from 2016 and 2017. Both times no dice. But your history with them could be different and it may work out for you. 

Starting Fico (6/29/18):EX 610, TU 595, EQ 603
Fico (9/1/18):EX 620, TU 599,EQ 631
(10-1-18) EX 630, TU 607, EQ 641
Goal: 670(Jan'19)

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@treschic wrote:
I have a 30 day day late on my capital one credit card and auto loan. I initially had autopay but the bank account linked to that autopay was compromised. I didn’t realize the accounts weren’t being paid until I logged in and saw Thr account had 0 dollars. Long story short this of course has dropped my scores and I’m hoping to get a mortgage within thr next few months.

I’m a bit confused bc I have seen stories to send goodwill letters to get them to remove lates as this is the only time I’ve been late and previously paid my bill biweekly. But other articles are saying do not send goodwill letters bc they no longer work and they cannot remove the lates and if you admit to fault those marks will stay, and they can only remove if it’s due to a glitch.

I’m so confused. Please give any advice thanks

You should definitely give it a try. It worked for me and I got 3 late payments removed between my 2 CapOne cards. It took me 6 months though, but I had success. As mentioned above, I wrote an email to CapOne CEO. It really depends on the person that gets your case. 

Good luck!

Message 4 of 15
rbentley
Established Contributor

I can only share my experience.  I have 2 lates from Householders Bank in 2011 which was subsequently taken over by Cap1.  They will fall off in early 2019, but I decided to try GW effort with their EO.  Their response was that the lates were valid and they would not remove.  I contacted them to explain that I was not disputing the lates but asking for a GW removal.  I received the same response that they were valid but now they added remarks to my credit reports of "Customer disputes account" or "AID" which I understand means Account in Dispute.  I have called and talked to a CSR and a Supervior who both told me they treat GW requests as disputes and that they do not remove lates.  I  cant get them to remove the dispute langauge and have resorted to filing a dispute with the CRBs over the dispute (A dispute about a dispute...lol)  That is still pending.

I note that there are a very few who report success with Cap1 so maybe it is worth trying.  I wish I hadn't due to the hassel of getting the dispute notations removed from my reports.  As always YMMV.  Good luck.

Message 5 of 15
treschic
Frequent Contributor

so, i emailed the CEO. i never did mail the letters. i got a call back from teh executive office about 2 hrs after my email went out. that was last thursday 10/18. i called back, and they said that they would remove the lates. however, they only handle the credit cards. regarding the auto loan, he transfered me to the auto loan division, who told me i had to send a letter to the consumer dispute division. so this is my last late im hoping to get taken care of. we will see.

does anyone know who to contact for capital one auto? the dispute division, i have a feeling will give me the same canned response. and of note, they are reporting me late of $36 of a $560 payment. im pretty upset over that part. :-(

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi! Can you kindly share the email address you used via private message?

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am also looking for the e-mail if you'd be so kind to PM as well.  Thanks in advance!! Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 15
treschic
Frequent Contributor

hi guys, i literally googled capital one ceo, but  i will send it to you all. 

Message 9 of 15
dlm1113
Valued Member

@treschic wrote:

hi guys, i literally googled capital one ceo, but  i will send it to you all. 

Can you also send me the email? I just sent an email today so it may be the same but any help is appreciated.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.