Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital one is vindictively destroying my husbands credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital one is vindictively destroying my husbands credit

I have a question regarding the best way to deal with this. Capital one has absolutey destroyed my husbands credit. I have tried disputing and it just comes back verified. I just don't understand how! I know they are lying about the payment history becuase I have our bank statements.

Here's what happened: In October of 2018, I had complications in my pregnancy and ended up having to leave my job early for unpaid maturnaty leave. I ended up getting really sick and had to deliver my son premature. Due to these unforeseen circumstance, we ran our credit card up to pay our bills. When it was clear we were going to have a difficult time paying it off, we made arrangements with capital one to make payments. The agreement was $35 a month. I even made extra payments whenever I could. However, when I looked at his credit report in January, I saw that dispite paying down our balance, capital one was reporting his payments late. I contacted them and they said that they wanted me to pay the total balance. It just wasn't possible at that time. They refused to take any more payments and within a month, charged off the account. I have just been ignoring it (I know stupid) but it really pissed me off that they were being so difficult. However, we want to buy a house and since they report his charge off every month in his revolving accounts, the utilization has been high, even though our other credit cards are  below 5%. On top of it they have continued to mark it late every month. It's killing his score. Any idea what I can do at this point? I have our bank statements that prove they are lying about us not making payments from November 2018 to February 2019. They even show four payments were made in February! Our last payment was February 22nd 2019 and they charged it off on March 1st 2019.  I just paid the charge off last week but I really want the late payments to be removed. I don't think it's fair considering I was making payments and they refused to accept them anymore and my statements clearly prove that! 

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous514
Established Contributor

Re: Capital one is vindictively destroying my husbands credit

Were your payments late prior? Did you get anything in writing from them?

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think we missed a payment on accident when we first opened in 2016. No, they told me on the phone that I couldn't make payments and needed to pay the balance in full at the end of February when I called to ask why it was reported late. This was after making four minimum monthly payments in February, three in January, and two in December and three in November.  I just scanned all the bank documents and highlighted all the payments so I know how many were taken out each month. 

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think we missed a payment on accident when we first opened it in 2016. No, I called them when I saw they were reporting lates and they told me on the phone I couldn't make payments and needed to pay the balance in full at the end of February. They closed the account and charged it off 7

days later. This was after making four minimum monthly payments in February, three in January, and two in December and three in November.  I just scanned all the bank documents and highlighted all the payments so I know how many were taken out each month. 

Message 4 of 9
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Hi and welcome to the forums 

Cap One is not being vindictive.  You got on payment plan two years ago, after defaulting, and with previous late. 

If card is closed in good standing, original terms are preserved. 

If card is closed as a result of AA, lender decides how they want to treat the account afterwards. 

The best course of action for you is to pay off this account, bringing balance to $0.00.  I dont know how much you owe them, but Cap One is prone to litigation.  They will sue even for small amounts, and attorneys representing them do show up.

If you pay it, it will stop reporting after final update. At that point, scores can start gradual recovery. 

If account remains unpaid, you could possibly end up with collection account reporting on top of original charge off.

That's a scoring disaster. 

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have paid them, I did not default on the payment. I missed one payment two years prior but I paid it the following month. It was not closed at that point. The account was closed two years after that missed payment. They did turn off the card when the balance was at its limit but we agreed to payments which were made on time and with extra payments every month. They charged it off 7 days after my last payment, which was the forth payment that month. I do think it's vindictive you say my payments were 180 days late when they were being paid and that can be shown from my bank account statements. 

Message 6 of 9
Azuieldrago
Frequent Contributor

The late is a late, that will stay on there for just over 7 yrs total. You cannot fight that. You may have made your payments but you may have under paid one. Or did you/him something wrong where they considered the payment plan void. Even having it post one day after its due date can be considered breech of contract. If you didn't have it in writting, and only as a verbal, then the orginal TOS is in play. Also, them closing the account is their call to make. They can legally do so. They are not being vindictive, they are a business acting within such boundaries. You may think its a personal attack, but its not. Its just business. It could have been Covid related, saw your husband as high risk and decided to shut the card down. Sounds like you have been disputing through the credit reporting agencies, have you called up Capital One and went over the entire payment history? Do you have the statements to match up with payments?

30 day post DC
60 days post DC
94 days post DC

INQUIRES

Store Cards
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

They are writing the payments were late in months that my bank statements show payments were being taken out of the account. I wish I could add a picture becuase I know it sounds impossible. 
here is what my bank statements say (I can only go back 18 months online) 

Minimum Monthly payments were made:

18 Nov 14 

18 Nov 26 

18 Dec 5

18 Dec 14

18 Dec 26

19 Jan 4

19 Jan 11

19 Jan 18

19 Jan 25

19 Feb 1

19 Feb 8

19 Feb 15 

19 Feb 22

Here's what they report

Account status: closed 

Payment status: charge off 

Status updated: 03.1.2019

Then in payment history it's all red and says no payment, including the dates that my bank was has ACH withdraws of the minimum payments from:  capital one card online payment 

Message 8 of 9
RSX
Valued Contributor

frustrating to be sure

1. stop disputing with the CRA's - it won't help and may cause more negative reporting

2. start an agressive paydown plan with whoever is holding the debt right now 

best of luck to you

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.