Did you mean: 

Capital one platinum to QS

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital one platinum to QS

Trying to figure out what to do.
I currently have a 750 capital one platinum that I have had since jan 2019

They gave me an offer to make it a QS, I know this is a better card, but will it still suck at growing?

Is it better to open a new card as a QS? Or push it on over and hope that it somehow bumps it out of the BS small starter thing capital one does? (I've read small starters never really grow)
It was 500 and got up to the 750 with the steps. :/
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
CashBackQueen
Frequent Contributor

Re: Capital one platinum to QS

I got a platinum in May 2018 that started at 500 and went to 750 after credit steps. I did pc to a QS, doesn't hurt to get that extra cash back. Last week I got another CLI to 1000 on it. It doesn't grow much, but I may apply for a new one in the future and combine this card into it.

BK7 DC 1/2/18 • Progress as of 5/10/22:

TCL: $89,350 • If it ain't got rewards, I don't want it Smiley Wink
Message 2 of 7
AllZero
Mega Contributor

You should accept the upgrade offer. At least you'll get 1.5% cash back vs no rewards.

The card could or could not be "bucketed". Best to use it and put a lot of swipes on it. Ask for credit limit every 6 months. See how it is at the 1 year mark.

I don't know your profile, so I can't really recommend if you should apply for another Capital One card or not. You might get another low limit.

Message 3 of 7
StillKicking
Contributor

Is it a QS or QS1?
Fico 8 Scores 10-19-20
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I pc'd mine to qs. 

It's not grown a whole bunch. It started at $2000 and has bumped up to $2500. I think the cash back is worth it though. 

Message 5 of 7
RSX
Valued Contributor

agreed. PC it

use it heavily.  
then you will know in 1 year

my Plat topped out at 6950 because I barely used it

my QS got to 13,750 because it was my only card at the time and it got all my spend

once I stopped using it, it has been stuck there (which is reasonable)

i wouldn't apply for a new one until you know the potential of the existing one

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

My platinum was opened last October right after my bk discharge at $300 sl. I pc'd it to the QS after 3 statements. Requested a cli, received $100 to take it to $400. It then bumped to $500 after credit steps.

I received an auto cli of $2500 last month, so limit is now $3000. I used it monthly but not always very much. Sometimes $50, sometimes to the $500 limit, and I think I may have let a balance report once or twice of $20. I never requested any cli after the steps increase.

I also had a secured Discover graduate in June, and a secured NFCU card graduate in August to limits of $2000, so maybe they wanted to keep up with those limits? They also approved me for a SavorOne a few days ago with a sl of $2000. We will see how that one grows.

I would definitely pc your platinum to the QS. You at least get some rewards then.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.