Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital one platinum

tag
Grizzly1
Contributor

Re: Capital one platinum

+1 For the Discover card. It may be secured but you'd at least get it unsecured in seven months and would likely get a CLI that will equal the total CL you have now or more as well as get your deposit back if you make your payments on time. Add the 2% back along with the match by Discover, your $200 deposit looks more like an investment.

8/2019: EQ 617, TU 578, EX 628
9/2021: EQ 684, TU 662, EX 671
Message 11 of 16
Egaffne2
Regular Contributor

With key bank if I settle will they still report $0? Now my next question about the key bank derog is that it is pretty old. The date of first delinquency is 5 years ago so the account should be dropping off in a couple years. If I pay it will that countdown start all over again? And if so am I better off leaving it be. I'm pretty positive this account is doing a lot of damage to my score because of its monthly reporting and because it's being counted into my overall utilization. I know someone said ignore the simulator but Experian claims if I pay it off my score will go up like 35 points. Either way it will be a positive so I suspect just paying it is best but I'm a little discouraged about the idea it will stick around for another 7 years if that is the case, what do u guys think?
Current 2023 FICO 8 score - 760 (EX) 758 (TU) 762 (EQ) (FICO 9s seem to be significantly higher)
Starting score - 530
Discover it - $4,200
Citi Custom Cash - $6,600
CFNA Firestone - $3,200
Amex BCE - $2,500
Mission Lane - $1,100
Chase slate (AU) - $3,000
Chase Freedom Flex - $11,100
Lowes Advantage card - $10,000
PNC poop points- $4,500
2 student loans 93% paid off
AMEX loan only 7% paid off so far
Total current Utilization among all accounts- 20%

Message 12 of 16
calyx
Super Contributor

@Egaffne2 wrote:
With key bank if I settle will they still report $0? Yes, though they might put in the notation that it was settled for less than full
Now my next question about the key bank derog is that it is pretty old. The date of first delinquency is 5 years ago so the account should be dropping off in a couple years. If I pay it will that countdown start all over again?  No, the DOFD does not change - it could affect the statute of limitations, but not the reporting date to the CRAs
And if so am I better off leaving it be. I'm pretty positive this account is doing a lot of damage to my score because of its monthly reporting and because it's being counted into my overall utilization.   It is absolutely damaging it;  I would settle it if possible, but you have to choose whether waiting out the 2 years is worth the potential damage to your credit report (especially if you need to finance something).
I know someone said ignore the simulator but Experian claims if I pay it off my score will go up like 35 points. Either way it will be a positive so I suspect just paying it is best but I'm a little discouraged about the idea it will stick around for another 7 years if that is the case, what do u guys think?

If you pay it off, it should come off of your report in the 7 year from DOFD timeframe.
By paying it, they will stop updating your report and your scores can start to recover; if you don't pay it it will continue to update supressing your score more than necessary.    There's also the fact that if you pay it/settle it, you won't have to worry so much about zombie debt buyers harassing you in the future.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 13 of 16
Egaffne2
Regular Contributor

Ok thanks, so what your saying is whether I pay it or not the account will be off my report in 2 years or at least the previous late payments will be in 2 years. In that case It would be best to pay so the account no longer damaged my scores for the next 2 years. I guess I could save money by waiting it out but I'd rather see my score improve. I was just worried by paying it I would be stuck with the derog for another 7 years! Thanks!
Current 2023 FICO 8 score - 760 (EX) 758 (TU) 762 (EQ) (FICO 9s seem to be significantly higher)
Starting score - 530
Discover it - $4,200
CFNA Firestone - $3,200
Amex BCE - $2,500
Mission Lane - $1,100
PNC poop points- $4,500

Message 14 of 16
calyx
Super Contributor

Yup, you've pretty much got it.

It will continue to be a major score ding, but at least it will hurt less than it could.
My only concern (which I nearly hit) was that I while I was waiting for things to drop off, I had to take a loan out (1 year earlier than planned), and my derogs really tripped me up.    I always want to caution people on waiting out such a long length of time after that Smiley Happy

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 15 of 16
Egaffne2
Regular Contributor

Yeah I agree you never know what will come up, that's the point of good credit is it's there when you need it so I'm trying to get things cleaned up sooner than later so thanks for clarifying some things for me and I'm gonna maybe wait on the card but discover is definitely an option I hear you guys out.
Starting score - 530
Discover it - $4,200
CFNA Firestone - $3,200
Amex BCE - $2,500
Mission Lane - $1,100
PNC poop points- $4,500

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.