Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Card Consolidation

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Card Consolidation

Good evening everyone..

Need your advice. I'm trying to get rid of my sub prime accounts. I just got approved for a CITI card and to my disbelief they gave me a 4k credit line!

I currently have 8 Credit cards with relatively low limits.
1. Discover $1900 limit, $668 balance 1yr old
2. Amex $500 Limit $200 balance 1 month old
3.Credit One Visa $850 Limit $0 balance 18 months old
4. Credit One Mc $500 Limit $0 balance 6 months old
5. First Premier $950 limit $0 balance 2 years old
6.TD Bank/Target $2k Limit $0 Balance 1 year old
7.Best Buy/Citi $1k limit $82 balance 8 months old
8.Paypal Mc $300 Limit $0 Balance 8 months old

My question is. To avoid paying the annual fees, would it be wise to close cards 3,4 and 5? Do you think it would impact my score alot since overall my credit limit is still increasing?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Card Consolidation

@Anonymous wrote:
Good evening everyone..

Need your advice. I'm trying to get rid of my sub prime accounts. I just got approved for a CITI card and to my disbelief they gave me a 4k credit line!

I currently have 8 Credit cards with relatively low limits.
1. Discover $1900 limit, $668 balance 1yr old
2. Amex $500 Limit $200 balance 1 month old
3.Credit One Visa $850 Limit $0 balance 18 months old  CLOSE
4. Credit One Mc $500 Limit $0 balance 6 months old      CLOSE
5. First Premier $950 limit $0 balance 2 years old              CLOSE
6.TD Bank/Target $2k Limit $0 Balance 1 year old
7.Best Buy/Citi $1k limit $82 balance 8 months old
8.Paypal Mc $300 Limit $0 Balance 8 months old

My question is. To avoid paying the annual fees, would it be wise to close cards 3,4 and 5? Do you think it would impact my score alot since overall my credit limit is still increasing?

Yes I would suggest 3, 4 and 5.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed, put a bullet in 3/4/5. I would keep the others though. They’re solid cards.
Message 3 of 9
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

Another vote here for ditching the Credit One and First Premier cards, and keeping the rest.

I would call them first and see if they're willing to waive the annual fee. If they say no, then close it. Couldn't hurt to try, though.

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn’t even do that. OP is in with some good banks. There is no need to have stains in the wallet like FP and Credit One.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone for their input. Is there a way to tell approximately how many points im going to loose with the closing of those 3 cards

Message 6 of 9
simplegirl
Valued Contributor

Those accounts should still factor into your age of accounts because closed accounts stay on your profile for 10 years.

Starting Score: 494 503 521
Current Score: 503 507 507 2/19
Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Goals:

Get First Home in Summer 2025
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks everyone for their input. Is there a way to tell approximately how many points im going to loose with the closing of those 3 cards

It’s a common misconception that closing accounts hurts your scores, probably born from the fact that VantageScore frontends like Credit Karma and WalletHub take the closed accounts out of your age of accounts calculations, but when it comes to scoring both FICO and Vantage will continue to count closed accounts for up to 10 years when they fall off. 

The only score loss happens if you close an account and it puts your utilization up a threshold. 28.9%, 48.9%, 68.9%, and 88.9% are the known thresholds for individual utilization and aggregate has all of those plus 8.9%. As long as closing out those credit limits doesn’t bring your utilization up above those, you won’t have any score loss. 

Message 8 of 9
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

Close 3, 4 and 5. 

Pay the other cards off except the one you choose to report a small balance. 

Profit.

050719:     
021924:     

FICO 08 scores listed and are stagnated until multiple derogatory items expire over the next two years.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.