Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cards reporting over limit

tag
emily15
Regular Contributor

Cards reporting over limit

Hi guys

I hate to even write this but I know how supportive and informative this community can be. 

In recent months (maybe the last six months or so) I've had multiple instances of cards reporting over their limit.. while i'm working on getting balances down , I'm wondering what type of negative impact long term this will have? 

Is this as impactful as other negatives? (Like late payments) where they negatively affect you for a number of years? 

thanks in advance 

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

Re: Cards reporting over limit

Utilization has no memory. Pay them down, and the scoring penalty goes away.

The real issue is very high utilization is considered a red flag, and in the short term can lead to CLDs and other adverse action, though this varies widely.

Message 2 of 6
Yasselife
Valued Contributor

@emily15 If you bring your balance down you can request a CLI, and if it goes to manual review you could point out that the limit was low for you in relation to your income and monthly spend.

Message 3 of 6
GZG
Valued Contributor

Some creditors cite balances reported over the credit limit as a reason to deny CLIs maybe? even apps as well

But to a much lesser degree than other negatives

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 4 of 6
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@GZG wrote:

Some creditors cite balances reported over the credit limit as a reason to deny CLIs maybe? even apps as well

At least one financial institution, CapOne to be specific, considers going temporarily over your limit and then paying down below said limit before the next statement date as a positive.  In my case I handily exceeded my credit limit last summer while paying for airline tickets, hotel rooms, and rental cars for a vacation overseas; I paid the card down the next day and then the gave me a CLI for an increase of nearly 50%.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 5 of 6
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

@Horseshoez wrote:

@GZG wrote:

At least one financial institution, CapOne to be specific, considers going temporarily over your limit and then paying down below said limit before the next statement date as a positive.  In my case I handily exceeded my credit limit last summer while paying for airline tickets, hotel rooms, and rental cars for a vacation overseas; I paid the card down the next day and then the gave me a CLI for an increase of nearly 50%.

Yes, Cap1 is weird that way. They even have a "Confirm Purchasing Power" option under settings, where you can check if a large purchase would go through. That's typically a feature of charge cards with no hard spending limit like the Amex Platinum, not credit cards with predefined limits.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.