cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cash out on car to help credit good idea?

tag
zaidnasouri

Cash out on car to help credit good idea?

Hello, I am slowly still building my credit, it's going good.I'm thinking about taking cash out on my car that I own worth 20k, and make monthly installments. Also, would this show up on a my credit report as secured?

I have an 8k secured credit card

I have about 6 bad accounts left

I have 1 judgement owned by Hunt and Henrequiez (Bunch of Donkeys) almost paid off.

I know I'd be losing the interest, but I am hoping this will boost my credit up.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Cash out on car to help credit good idea?

@zaidnasouri wrote:

Hello, I am slowly still building my credit, it's going good.I'm thinking about taking cash out on my car that I own worth 20k, and make monthly installments. Also, would this show up on a my credit report as secured?

I have an 8k secured credit card

I have about 6 bad accounts left

I have 1 judgement owned by Hunt and Henrequiez (Bunch of Donkeys) almost paid off.

I know I'd be losing the interest, but I am hoping this will boost my credit up.

Welcome to the forum

What other credit do you have other than the 8k secured card? 

That alone is good so I'm wondering why you want or need another TL that will result in paying INT%?

If you need another TL I suggest another secured card or a TL via the shopping cart trick but only what you would in fact use

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 12
zaidnasouri

Thank you for the response. I only have a 500 dollar capital one card. I was told an installment payment like this would help more than another secured CC. Plus I also heard having secured cards will show up as secured on your credit report.

Also, what is the shopping cart trick?

Message 3 of 12
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Installment loans actually do very little for your score other than credit mix and that is only about 10%.

Revolving credit would do your score more good.  Most secured cards report as a normal CC.  There are only a few that don't.

Shopping cart trick is for mostly Comenity bank cards.  You have to be opted in with the CRAs.  Go to a place like Victoria's Secret and put things in your shopping cart.  It is possible it will come up and say you are approved for a certain amount of credit.  It will be a soft pull.

Message 4 of 12
myjourney
Super Contributor

Have you checked your CR's to see how the 8k secured card is reporting? I'm willing to bet it does not say secured but revolving or charge.

That and the Cap1 would be enough with time to increase score and establish a positive history of payments while increasing AAoA.

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 5 of 12
zaidnasouri

Thanks a bunch. Under Experian, my Wells Fargo secured card show up as secured credit card. Equifax and Transunion show up as Revolving or Option and Revolving account.

Message 6 of 12
myjourney
Super Contributor

@zaidnasouri wrote:

Thanks a bunch. Under Experian, my Wells Fargo secured card show up as secured credit card. Equifax and Transunion show up as Revolving or Option and Revolving account.

Surprised by the EX reporting seeing how it's reporting as unsecured on the other 2 CB's 

Either way you are good to build a positive credit history

How long have you had the cards both WF and CAP1? 

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 7 of 12
zaidnasouri

10 months

Message 8 of 12
myjourney
Super Contributor

@zaidnasouri wrote:

10 months

Your doing a wonderful jobSmiley Happy

If the baddie that your paying off is your only one and depending of were scores are in 2 months IMHO I would app unsecured cards such as:

Walmart  620+

Discover 650+

Cap1 620+ 

At that point you will be showing 12 months of history which will help in the approval process

EDIT just saw you have 6 baddies when I reviewed what are they and how much

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 9 of 12
zaidnasouri

Smaller credit cards in collections aging at least 3 years back. $300-$1500

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.