cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cavalry Portfolio - How to Deal with them?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cavalry Portfolio - How to Deal with them?

Hi,
I recently sent a GW letter to Cavalry Portfolio Services about an old Sprint account for $115 I paid off about a year ago.

Here is what my letter said:

To Whom It May Concern:

This letter is in regards to the above referenced account that was placed for collections with your agency on June 1, 2006 by Sprint PCS. I paid this account in full on June 21. 2007, and I am writing to see if you would be willing to make a positive adjustment on my credit reports by deleting this account from the three credit reporting agencies completely.

I understand people need to be held accountable for their mistakes and I agree with that entirely, but I would like to explain my situation at the time I fell behind on this account with the original creditor in 2003. I was going through a job loss and starting college for the first time. I began and paid for college only 1 month prior to my job loss and fell behind on several bills due to my finances being tied up in tuition costs. I recently graduated with a MA in Technical Communication, and have kept my now fair-paying job for over 3 years. I was therefore able to pay my collection account with you in full last year. My collection with your agency, while showing as paid, is having a negative impact on my credit reports and may prevent me from securing financing for the purchase of a home soon with my boyfriend of 6 years, who has seen me through all this. I am humbly asking you to please give me a second chance by deleting this account.

I have heard horror stories about collection agencies that will stop at nothing to collect a debt and I am so grateful I did not have an experience like that with Cavalry Portfolio Services. I appreciate that your company has always been courteous and respectful to me, and I appreciate your patience during that tumultuous period in my life. I have tried very hard to rectify the financial damage I did to myself during that time, and am sincerely asking Cavalry Portfolio to consider my request. Please let me know if you require any further information from me that would help in reaching a positive outcome. Thank you very much for taking the time to read my letter.

I look forward to your expedited response regarding this matter.

Sincerely,

By the way... thanks for the GREAT sample letters I've gotten on this forum... I'm sure many of you will recognize this letter! Smiley Wink

Here is what their response was:

This letter confirms that Cavalry Portfolio Services, LLC has received PAYMENT IN FULL on the above-referenced account.

Payment Received: 114.89

Balance: $0.00

Thank you for your cooperation and the opportunity to assist in resolving this account. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our office at (800) 501-0909 during regular business hours.

This communication is from a debt collector. This is an attempt to collect a debt and any information obtained will be used for that purpose.

Sincerely,

Cavalry Portfolio Services, LLC

What am I supposed to think about this letter? They didn't delete the account, like I'd asked. This account was already showing as being paid, so they are basically just re-stating what they'd already done... should I send another GW?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cavalry Portfolio - How to Deal with them?

Search the forums for Cavalry - someone posted the name of a VP - I would send another (similar) letter directly to him rather than "to whom it may concern".

Personally I would send it in a Priority Mail mailer rather than a business envelope. If you use the USPS website to print the postage I believe you get free delivery confirmation (but they don't need to sign for it).

This way it won't get "lost" on his desk (it is a 10x12 cardboard mailer - and you know it arrived without doing a CMRRR (which might look a little aggressive).

Good luck!

-TP
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cavalry Portfolio - How to Deal with them?

Search "Gino Archer" That's his name Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.