tag
DGOATS1
Regular Contributor

Cc app before mtg

Everyone says before mortgage do not apply for cc

My wife only has one retail card 300 limit
One auto loan
One student loan

If she applies now for a cc, will that boost the score more or will new app offset the benefits

Current score FICO 8 is
658 EX ( cc app inquiry in 9/2018)
696 EQ
670 TU

671 ex Fico 2 (mtg). Sorry but don’t have other mtg scores.

I think we just ride it out and apply for our mtg as planned in April 2020

Starting Score: 652/644/654 (March 2019)
Current Score: 729/745/745
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
DGOATS1
Regular Contributor

Re: Cc app before mtg

FYI. Paid some charge offs (2 student loans and one cc with 6k balance) and her Experian mtg score went from 615 to 671.

Thanks for all the advice and help so far. Just not sure if we rock the boat with a cc app

Message 2 of 7
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

I think you already know the answer. I would not apply for anything if you are trying to get a mortgage.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 3 of 7
DebtJoe
Regular Contributor

If you guys are apping in April of 2020, I wanna go ahead and say it might be beneficial to get her two more cards so that they can have a full year of aging before your mortgage. Getting 2 new cards right now would cause a slight point drop, but 1 full year of positive activity on the cards would outweigh any immediate score drop in the long run.

I'd check Discover/Amex/Cap 1 prequalifiers, or just go secured with Discover and Cap 1 if need be.

Talking now to a mortgage broker about how to best maximize your score before you apply might be a good idea as well. They would know more then anyone here (I think lol).

8/1/2018 FICO Scores:

6/29/2021 FICO Scores:
Message 4 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Rule of thumb is no new credit 6 months in advance of mortgage pulls and you need 3 open revolving credit lines to maximize your Fico so yes grab 2 new revolvers ASAP and then sit back for the next year.
Message 5 of 7
Yeliaba1
Frequent Contributor

I agree with adding two more cards if you are going to apply in April 2020.  It’s agreed in general that three cards and an installment loan provide the best opportunity for optimal scores.  Discover is a good choice.  Your local CU or bank are also good options.  JMHO 

, I think there are better options than Cap1 (popular yes) and their triple hard pull.  FNBO has a very underrated secured card that’s eligible for CLIs at 7 months (while secured) and the possibility of graduating at 11.  

Message 6 of 7
DGOATS1
Regular Contributor

Got two approved so we’ll see what happens.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.