cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cellphone company is not reporting!! Is it important?

tag
Give_Me_Credit_Please
Regular Contributor

Cellphone company is not reporting!! Is it important?

Hi all, My cellphone carrier is not reporting my on time payments, how can I have them start reporting and is it important for my credit profile? Thank you.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
dmorey
Contributor

Re: Cellphone company is not reporting!! Is it important?

I've never heard of cell phone companies reporting payments to the credit bureaus -- with the exception that they will report collection acounts if you don't pay them.

Message 2 of 18
Give_Me_Credit_Please
Regular Contributor

Yes, I've seen that happen! No reporting for ontime payment but report for bad payments!!?? What's up with that!

Message 3 of 18
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Mine has never reported any payments.  I do believe they only report if it's a negative.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 18
Jutz
Valued Contributor

Like other utilities, you will only see a tradeline for a cell phone bill if it is negative.  They aren't loaning you money, and therefore your service plan isn't relevant to your credit profile.  However, if you fall delinquent and the account is charged off and/or put into collections, there will be a tradeline for that.  In this case you ARE in debt to them, and it is reported as such.

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 5 of 18
Give_Me_Credit_Please
Regular Contributor

My personal opinion is that any company that gives you a line of credit should report your good payment schedules. Even though cellphone carriers isn't physically loan you money, they still give you an open line of credit that that you can easily rack up, specially with texting and data charges. I know personally at one point, My cellphone bill was about $900, that's more than the credit limit on my Cap1 card. It would be nice to have another good credit reporting. Thanks.

Message 6 of 18
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Yes all replies are correct. Cell phone companies won't report unless you miss a payment and don't reconcile it for months. You will possibly get a warning letter before this occurs.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 7 of 18
loviedovie
Regular Contributor

Has anyone heard anything about services that DO report your rent/utility on time payments to the CRAs if you pay via their service?

I read an article on some finance site the other day about a service called RentReporters that, for a processing fee like 8 bucks a month or so, would charge your rent via a credit card or your debit account and cut the check for you to your landlord. Then they would report to all 3 bureaus as a means of establishing 'alternative credit.' The article mentioned some other service that does this for utilities as well. 

Do any of these work? I was hesitant to jump on board because I was a bit skeptical that CRAs would factor this into the score, and there is no sense paying a fee for what might not work...

Starting Score: 580
Current Score: 754
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 18
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

It costs money to report, and everyone is cutting corners these days. 

The utilities don't report either.....unless you are off to collections.

Message 9 of 18
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@loviedovie wrote:

Has anyone heard anything about services that DO report your rent/utility on time payments to the CRAs if you pay via their service?

I read an article on some finance site the other day about a service called RentReporters that, for a processing fee like 8 bucks a month or so, would charge your rent via a credit card or your debit account and cut the check for you to your landlord. Then they would report to all 3 bureaus as a means of establishing 'alternative credit.' The article mentioned some other service that does this for utilities as well. 

Do any of these work? I was hesitant to jump on board because I was a bit skeptical that CRAs would factor this into the score, and there is no sense paying a fee for what might not work...

FICO scoring ignores rental tradelines, however many FAKO scores would likely include them.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.