Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chapter 7 discharged July 8th, Rebuilding Process Guidance

tag
raine22
Regular Contributor

Chapter 7 discharged July 8th, Rebuilding Process Guidance

Discharged in July - current scores Fico 8 - EQ 615, TU 550, EX 580

When filed - had to wait three months without making payments per attorney so that we would pass the means test.  Husband was laid off work,  job loss due to covid.  My file does show late payments shows 16 lates 30+ days.  Prior to that I had never missed a payment and have alot of good standing accounts that were closed due to the filing of Chapter 7 petition.  I did burn some big card  names, JPMC, USBANK, Discover personal loan, BOA, Amex, Care Credit.   I have checked my reports and everything is listed as IIB, zero balance.  I'm also co-signed on a student loan for my daughter which just updated on EX which cost me a -17 point drop July 23rd.  I'm not sure why it updated so late.

Currently, I've done the following since discharge:

Mortgage Loan - kept the home, always paid on time

Pottery Barn - credit cards survived bankruptcy with history - zero balance

Bank LOC - $1,000 (can borrow against it and pay back to build credit, currently have not used but does report as an account on all 3 CB's

Credit Union Loan - had to borrow against my car that was paid in full in order to keep during BK7.  Borrowed $10,000 current, no lates (only reports to EQ)

Capital One Mastercard -  $3,000 credit line - applied right after discharge (have not used yet)

Member of Penfed, checking & savings in hopes to eventually build credit with them in the future - have heard takes at least a year after BK

Member of NFCU - just joined waiting on my bank card in the mail so I can open the NRewards Secured Card and continue to build 

Would this be enough to get me started in the right direction or do I need another card in order for it to be considered the three major cards?

- - Due to one being a store card (Pottery Barn, I did place an order from them so it would have new activity but hasn't posted yet due to backorder).

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
itguy_65
Frequent Contributor

Re: Chapter 7 discharged July 8th, Rebuilding Process Guidance

FYI, I was discharged in January of 2021, and PenFed gave me a credit card with $10,000 credit line in July, so it is not necessarily 1 year, I would suggest trying at 6 months post discharge.

EQ (3/24/17): 820 TU (3/24/17): 799 EX (3/24/17): 806
Message 2 of 5
NaimeseOGK
Regular Contributor

Definitely get a secured right now. That would be the right direction to start in. Then after 6 months or the least 3. Apply for another one.

Message 3 of 5
raine22
Regular Contributor

@itguy_65 wrote:

FYI, I was discharged in January of 2021, and PenFed gave me a credit card with $10,000 credit line in July, so it is not necessarily 1 year, I would suggest trying at 6 months post discharge.

That is great to know.  I'll hold off until then.  I'm in no hurry and want to wait to get the best possible outcome!

Thank you!!

Message 4 of 5
raine22
Regular Contributor

@NaimeseOGK wrote:

Definitely get a secured right now. That would be the right direction to start in. Then after 6 months or the least 3. Apply for another one.

Thank you for the response, once I get the secured from NFCU I'll wait it out and until the six month period and try for Penfed.

Thank you!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.