Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge Off Re-Dated

tag
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Charge Off Re-Dated

As vntrsc stated, only one dispute is required in order for the consumer to then have the right to bring civil action.  FCRA 623(c).

For clarification, the term "investigation" as used in a dispute filed with a CRA applies to the investigation that must be conducted by the furnisher (creditor or debt collector) after the dispute is referred to them by the CRA.

The term "reinvestigation" is used to then refer to the investigation that is then conducted by the CRA once they have received the results of the investigation conducted by the furnisher.

"Reinvestigation" does not refer to a second invesigation that must be conducted by a CRA.

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Charge Off Re-Dated

Update:

Just received the dispute back from Equifax today and they refused to remove the charge off from my report stating that the Originial creditor has "verified" the DOFD as being correct. Interesting considering that the other two bureaus had the correct date of first delinquency and removed the charge off. ( three year difference btw )

So at this point I am not sure what to do. Not only does it keep the c/off on my report for three more years but it also keeps the debt in the SOL! How do I fight this?? 

I filed a complaint today with the BBB. But would like to go ahead and file a complaint with the CFPB. Should I or should I wait until i get the results back from the BBB. 

My main concern is that the correct date of first delinquency is 1/2013! One payment was made in 2016 but the account was never, ever brought current. 

How do I prove my case?

Thanks in advance. 

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Charge Off Re-Dated- UPDATE!

* I apologize if I am not posting this properly. I had posted this last night but it seemed to get lost in the forum. If it needs to be placed somewhere else please let me know.*

Update:

Just received the dispute back from Equifax today and they refused to remove the charge off from my report stating that the Originial creditor has "verified" the DOFD as being correct. Interesting considering that the other two bureaus had the correct date of first delinquency and removed the charge off. ( three year difference btw )

So at this point I am not sure what to do. Not only does it keep the c/off on my report for three more years but it also keeps the debt in the SOL! How do I fight this?? 

I filed a complaint today with the BBB. But would like to go ahead and file a complaint with the CFPB. Should I or should I wait until i get the results back from the BBB. 

My main concern is that the correct date of first delinquency is 1/2013! One payment was made in 2016 but the account was never, ever brought current. 

How do I prove my case?

Can I demand documentation used to determine their case? 

Could this end back up on my Transunion and Experian reports.

I may have quite a legal battle ahead with this. 

Thanks in advance. 

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

* I apologize if I am not posting this properly. I had posted this last night but it seemed to get lost in the forum. If it needs to be placed somewhere else please let me know.*

Update:

How do I prove my case?

Can I demand documentation used to determine their case? 

Could this end back up on my Transunion and Experian reports.

I may have quite a legal battle ahead with this. 

Thanks in advance. 

Your next step should be asking "What was the method of verification" and after they respond to that the next step should be "to ask them to send you the proofof validation or remove the account for failure to perform a proper investigation".

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks ClassicMan for the speedy reply.

So do I open another dispute or should I call Equifax?

Sorry, Just want to make sure this is done correctly.

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks ClassicMan for the speedy reply.

So do I open another dispute or should I call Equifax?

Sorry, Just want to make sure this is done correctly.

@dino0076 I think you should send certified letters just so you can keep track of the amount of time. I'm not sure if you dispute it online the drop down option will have those choices.

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! 

I will send the letter today. 

Is there a template that I can use?

Appreciate your help!

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dino0076 IMO I don't recommend you to use a template. I will send you a PM of a youtube video that will give you more information. But the main thing is the letter has to be straight to the point of what you're asking.

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great! Thanks so much!

Will keep you posted on the progress!

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.