Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge Off makes a reappearance :(

tag
myquestionsfico
Regular Contributor

Charge Off makes a reappearance :(

So, up until February of this year, I had a charge off on Equifax reporting for a Greenville Federal Credit Union Visa card I had with them.  Sometime in Feb this year, it magically dropped off early.  It had been reporting since 2015.  For all the years it was on my report, it always showed the following:

Date of First Delinquency - May 1, 2014

Delinquency First Reported - Jan 1, 2015

So now I see that it has showed back up on my report, but now it shows the following:

Date of First Delinquency - Jan 1, 2015

Delinquency First Reported - Jan 1, 2015

I don't understand how for YEARS it showed the DOFD as 05/2014, and now it has moved into the future, just when I thought I was definitely past the 7 year clock.

Do I have any recourse?  I don't have any records from years ago, but I do have copies of previous Equifax reports (the latest being Jan and Feb of this year) with the original DOFD date.

21 REPLIES 21
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Charge Off makes a reappearance :(

File a dispute and submit the previous reports as proof.

Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed with @Brian_Earl_Spilner. Just submit the dispute online and use an older report as your proof. It'll get fixed. 

Message 3 of 22
myquestionsfico
Regular Contributor

Thank you both!  I tried submittin earlier, but for some reason their electronic ability to receive supporting documentation is down today (wouldn't you know it?).  Hopefully it will be up and running soon.  I'll keep you posted on if it works.  Crossing my fingers!

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1 Make sure you attach the documentation because that requires another level of review. 

Message 5 of 22
House2021
Established Contributor

Rather than wait up to 30 days tor the credit bureau to review and simply correct, not delete, I would file a BBB complaint against the. Requesting deletion, it's my understanding re-aging the debt can cause then to be fined $1000+ and is a big big no no

Message 6 of 22
myquestionsfico
Regular Contributor

Well, I don't think I want to do that.  As I noted at first, I don't have documentation on when the actual DOFD is, and I don't really recall if what they were showing (5/1/2014) is accurate or not...but that is the date they reported for 6+ years until a few months ago when it just dropped off my report.  Now that it has magically reappeared, the DOFD is showing as 1/1/2015, which very well could be correct. 

Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hate to say it, but the BBB lacks any real authority that I’m aware of.
Message 8 of 22
House2021
Established Contributor

The BBB lacks authority but effective in getting the right people to respond. I was able to get nearly $50,000 in debt eliminated through complaints to the BBB without paying a penny, even two collection companies deleted from my report and a charge off deleted, which you usually can't get deleted for anything.

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@House2021 wrote:

The BBB lacks authority but effective in getting the right people to respond. I was able to get nearly $50,000 in debt eliminated through complaints to the BBB without paying a penny, even two collection companies deleted from my report and a charge off deleted, which you usually can't get deleted for anything.

@House2021 I am impressed. Tell me more.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.