Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge-Off not getting resolved (long story), investigating next steps

tag
HowDoesThisAllWork
Frequent Contributor

Charge-Off not getting resolved (long story), investigating next steps

Good morning!

With this post I hope to gain some advice and some confidence with a potential next step in this saga.  I ask because I tend to take an incorrect approach and use the wrong words and this often leads to "stupid".  And I do not like to allow stupid to be an option.  In other words, looking for a little hand holding here.  So, here we go!

Some of you may be familiar with my Merrick Charge-Off from 2017 story.  It is an on-going story.  I won't bore anyone with rehashing that.  But, things are not going necessarily as well as I had hoped.  And, to be clear, what I mean with "not going necessarily..." I mean that when I do send a letter (and I have sent two sets) to Merrick something does get resolved to my satisfaction but the side-effect is that one or two or three other things get messed up.  Not sure that I want to continue with this process.

I mean, y'all have heard the example....someone knocks on the door, you answer it, you get punched in the nose.  The next time someone knocks on the door, you might be a bit more hesitant to open the door.  By the third time, you dont even hear the knocking, right?  Ha! Ha!

I do want to give Merrick every opportunity to resolve what appears to me to be their reporting inconsistencies.  Again, won't bore everyone with that drama.  I am all for doing the right thing.  And the debt was indeed mine.  And I messed up.  Have never questioned that.  But this story is getting old.  I am seeing a familiar pattern here.  And it does not please me.

So, were I to look at taking the next step (read: not contacting the CRAs and not contacting Merrick) my best, somewhat limited but educated guess would be that I contact the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB )?

I tell them that I feel that Merrick is mis-reporting crucial details of a Charge-Off, that this is adversely affecting my credit scores, and provide what I consider to be the supporting documentation along with a time-line?

Does this sound reasonable?

I am open to constructive criticism and suggestions.

FICO 8 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO 9 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO Auto 8 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO Auto 9 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO Bankcard 8 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO Mortgage 2/4/5 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

Starting Score: Exp 627
Current Score: Exp 713
Goal Score: Exp 750+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
HowDoesThisAllWork
Frequent Contributor

Re: Charge-Off not getting resolved (long story), investigating next steps

For those interested, here is a link to the Merrick post.  I believe that this is up-to-date:

Merrick Charge-Off situation 

I am 100% sure that there is another post, prior to the one linked.  But the linked post has all of the details.

FICO 8 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO 9 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO Auto 8 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO Auto 9 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO Bankcard 8 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO Mortgage 2/4/5 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

Starting Score: Exp 627
Current Score: Exp 713
Goal Score: Exp 750+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 3
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Charge-Off not getting resolved (long story), investigating next steps

The issue probably lies with Equifax. They are horrible when it comes to fixing things. It's why it's recommended here to not dispute or attempt EE with them as they will probably make things worse. You can contact the CFPB, but I doubt it will go anywhere. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.