Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge Offs

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Charge Offs

The car i had was recalled.  Capital One bought it back.  Capital One shows on my credit that it was charged off.  How do I get it off my credit?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Charge Offs

How exactly did they offer to buy it back?

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

By paying off what you owe if there is a balance and then start a Goodwill campaign.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

There was a recall on the car a VW Jetta diesel.  VW would pay to have it fixed or buy back the vehicle.  They bought it back.  I don't know how to get the charge off my credit.

Message 4 of 9
MyDataMyChoice
Valued Contributor

Sounds like VW Didnt buy it for what you owed....

Capital One Financed?   And VW Bought it back due to recall?    

DId you get a payoff letter from capital one?   What is the amount of the chargeoff?

Message 5 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

In order to charge a debt to profit and loss, the debt must be delinquent, and the creditor must determine that the debt is not likely to be repaid.

The very first issue is their showing of a delinquency on payment of the debt.  Without that showing, there cannot be a charge-off of the debt.

Do you have basis for a dispute by showing that you were not delinquent on payment of the debt?

If so, you should begin by filing a dispute under the FCRA of the accuracy of the reporting of a charge-off.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it was me, I'd be hiring a local attorney to sue VW, Capital One and the credit bureaus after I've made the necessary legal disputes that all 3 are assured to ignore and deny.

Dispute it based on the requirements of the law.  Dispute in writing, certified mail return receipt requested and demand an answer in writing.  Then when you trap these jerks in lies, go to a local lawyer and it'll be a slam dunk.

That's assuming VW did in fact promise to pay off your car, and that Capital One did in fact receive such payment.  Unfortunately, you may be trapped yourself because until VW pays off the loan, you are required to maintain payments.  So if Capital One can prove you didn't make payments for 4-5 months while waiting for the VW pay-off, then the chargeoff is legal and correct and you have no basis for a legal claim.

So you need to pull your bank history perfectly, and also find out when VW sent off payment and when Capital One received it.

But, if everything was done correctly and you were never late, and your disputes come back denied, sue away.  Sue hard, and find a lawyer who wants to take as much as he can out of these organizations.  You won't see a dime of it, but at least the lawyer will get to golf more and cost these organizations a-plenty.

Message 7 of 9
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If it was me, I'd be hiring a local attorney to sue VW, Capital One and the credit bureaus after I've made the necessary legal disputes that all 3 are assured to ignore and deny.

What would be the basis of suing the credit bureaus?  All they are doing is reporting what Capital One is telling them.   Unless you can show that they KNOW Cap One is providing false infromation then you have no basis to sue them.   Or are you just saying to throw it against the wall and see what sticks?

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

There's no basis on a factual case but a good credit lawyer will involve them nonetheless for continuing to give out incomplete or inaccurate information after the consumer requested corrections.  I would probably add an FTC and CFPB complaint in the mix early-on against both the CRAs and Capital One.

The consumer in this case is harmed because an improperly reported charge-off can increase the risk of adverse action.  Capital One improperly reported it, yes, but the CRAs need to be given notice that Capital One incorrectly reported it.  Give them notice with a dispute (of facts) and let them know full well that if they continue to report incorrect and inaccurate information that is used by other parties, they're harming you.

It's feasible one could sue the CRAs for actual damages, too.  That's up to the attorney to decide, of course.  A well written dispute can probably get a bland boilerplate denial response in writing, and if they're not responsible in their incorrect/inaccurate reporting and outright deny the dispute, there may even be malicious or willful conduct that can be proven by a good attorney.  Bad conduct like that allows one to recover punitive damages.

It's all about doing it properly, step by step, in writing, CMRRR, demanding a mailed response, and cataloging each and every step.  Lawsuits suck, I got sued by a creditor many years ago and the only reason I won (and received punitive damages in a settlement before the judge ruled) was because I had endless evidence against the creditor.  I found out a few years ago from a different lawyer that I should have demanded 6 figures in their settlement, not 5.  But I did win, and my paperwork is what convinced the prosecuting attorneys suing me to settle before going to trial.  This creditor actually stole my identity while trying to "track me down" and I spent hundreds of hours cataloging proof.

If you can prove willful misconduct or malicious intent (if VW promised to pay by a certain date but didn't, that may be malicious intent), someone's going to pay out some big money.  I'd be more curious about the time frame, though.

My gut instinct tells me that OP probably got the settlement offer, stopped paying on the loan, and rightfully has a chargeoff against them which no dispute or lawsuit will remove.  But without seeing the timing of it all, it's impossible to say.  Maybe OP did in fact get the payment settlement terms and VW or Capital One screwed the pooch on it.  If so, I'd demand a punitive award settlement based on actual damages (if there's documented evidence of any).

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.