Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge off Advice

tag
Nikita2008
Regular Contributor

Charge off Advice

So, as I posted in some other posts, I am rebuilding and I've had some recent success.

I was approved for a Navy Cash Rewards Visa Signature 15k limit last week (  blew me away. I also managed clean my slate with Capital One, they removed 12 late payments on a goodwill letter.

As for my single charge off it was for a Total Visa card, it charged off in Sept 2019. The CL was $300, and I know for sure that it was under the CL before it defaulted. What they charged off was $700 something. I never received anything from them. I called twice, and they said it sold and gave me a number , who in turn said they didn't have it. 

Today, I get a missed call from Activate Financial, I  call them back, and at first they said they had nothing for my name / phone number etc. Finally they kick it to supervisor after 20 minutes on the phone, and it is in fact that Total Card. I googled Activate Financial and they are part of Vervent who owns the account, so I'm not so sure about the sold off part.

I am obviously anxious and willing to settle this account. I asked though, how they got to that $700 something number, and she said " I don't know". It sounds awfully high. She said they would begin the validation process, and mail it to me. They did offer a 60% settlement of $454. I'm not sure if I should wait for the validation or shoot lower. It's my only CO.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Charge off Advice

@Nikita2008 wrote:

So, as I posted in some other posts, I am rebuilding and I've had some recent success.

I was approved for a Navy Cash Rewards Visa Signature 15k limit last week (  blew me away. I also managed clean my slate with Capital One, they removed 12 late payments on a goodwill letter.

As for my single charge off it was for a Total Visa card, it charged off in Sept 2019. The CL was $300, and I know for sure that it was under the CL before it defaulted. What they charged off was $700 something. I never received anything from them. I called twice, and they said it sold and gave me a number , who in turn said they didn't have it. 

Today, I get a missed call from Activate Financial, I  call them back, and at first they said they had nothing for my name / phone number etc. Finally they kick it to supervisor after 20 minutes on the phone, and it is in fact that Total Card. I googled Activate Financial and they are part of Vervent who owns the account, so I'm not so sure about the sold off part.

I am obviously anxious and willing to settle this account. I asked though, how they got to that $700 something number, and she said " I don't know". It sounds awfully high. She said they would begin the validation process, and mail it to me. They did offer a 60% settlement of $454. I'm not sure if I should wait for the validation or shoot lower. It's my only CO.

If the OC is still reporting a balance they own it, must update to 0 by law once sold. Typically they can still add interest and fees for a period of time. IMO wait for the validation then you might be able to negotiate something better and if not then take the 454.

Message 2 of 3
Nikita2008
Regular Contributor

Re: Charge off Advice

Total became Vervent, and Activate is part of Vervent. I had a First Access Card with them also, it had a ton of lates around the same time. But never charged off. They put me in a hardship during COVID because I had COVID and was out of work for a month. They froze my interest but still charged me a monthly fee. As soon as hardship was over ( this month ) they closed my account, and didn't give a reason. They did offer to reopen. If I paid my remaining balance over the phone for a $10 fee. I was current at that time I owed $155 still. I paid it online and told them to keep their card. I got a 15k card with Navy the same day. My score went up 8 pts from that crap card  closing. I got Discover and Amex this week both goal cards. I'm in the garden for the next 6-12 months before I app for the last goal card. Don't want anything to screw it up.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.