Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge off - Collections are off of my report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Charge off - Collections are off of my report

I have 7 charge offs that date back to 2017 when I lost my job.  I've been working tirelessly to get them removed from my credit report and stopped working on it when I realized that the OC stopped reporting monthly.  I've had the collection accounts associated with the charge offs deleted.  Recently, I fell on hard times again and got a few late pays...so my credit score is back in the toilet. I would like to purchase a home once I feel financially fit, but fear these charge offs will be an issue.

I've devised a plan to pay off all of my revolving credit by the end of the year and will only utilize 30%. I am also in the process of having the collections deleted. The only things that I will have left on my report are the old charge off's (from 2017) and the recent late pays.

I'm wondering if it is better to wait out the additional 4 years for the charge off's to fall off and let sleeping dogs lie or try to find an error to get the Charge off's removed from my credit altogether.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: Charge off - Collections are off of my report

@Anonymous wrote:

I have 7 charge offs that date back to 2017 when I lost my job.  I've been working tirelessly to get them removed from my credit report and stopped working on it when I realized that the OC stopped reporting monthly.  I've had the collection accounts associated with the charge offs deleted.  Recently, I fell on hard times again and got a few late pays...so my credit score is back in the toilet. I would like to purchase a home once I feel financially fit, but fear these charge offs will be an issue.

I've devised a plan to pay off all of my revolving credit by the end of the year and will only utilize 30%. I am also in the process of having the collections deleted. The only things that I will have left on my report are the old charge off's (from 2017) and the recent late pays.

I'm wondering if it is better to wait out the additional 4 years for the charge off's to fall off and let sleeping dogs lie or try to find an error to get the Charge off's removed from my credit altogether.

The odds of you finding "an error to get the Charge off's removed" is slim since the creditor has the opportunity to correct an error therefore removal will only happen if the creditor fails to respond in a timely manner. Even if the creditor fails to respond in a timely manner and it gets removed they can put it back on your reports once they validate the information is correct. 

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

So basically, I should leave it alone and serve my time in charge off jail...

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Who are the charge offs with? Sometimes goodwill letters help. Otherwise, yea, you will have to wait it out. 

Good luck

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Most of them are with Comenity Bank.  I was once informed that if they are no longer reporting, it has less of an impact. Is that true?

Message 5 of 6
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Yes, as the derog ages, it will impact your score less and less and points will slowly be recovered. As far as getting the COs removed altogether, as another member said, it's next to impossible, unfortunately, especially if it's an OC. Of course you can still try to GW them, but we just tell you the truth so you can temper your expectations. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.