cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge off- Score hurting but have payment plan?

tag
C_DUBYA
Regular Contributor

Charge off- Score hurting but have payment plan?

Hello,

Last ear I had a personal loan that went behind.  At the 90 day mark they turned off my ability to pay and sent me to a law firm.  This law firm put a lien on my home, and garnishment on my bank and got a lump sum of $3k.  At this time I contacted the law firm and made payment arrangements of $480 per month. They kept the $3k as well.  I have been paying this directly now for over a year.  So far I have paid back $8000 of a 18,000 balance (Of course they added more on top).

Today I was looking at my credit and noticed that this has continuously reported as a Charge Off and 90 day delinquent over and over.

90 days late

08/2022, 07/2022, 06/2022, 05/2022, 04/2022, 03/2022, 02/2022, 01/2022, 12/2021, 11/2021, 10/2021, 09/2021, 08/2021, 07/2021, 06/2021, 05/2021, 04/2021, 03/2021, 02/2021, 01/2021, 12/2020

On my monthly i see it as CO every month reported.  

My question is, is this correct?  I have paid so much back through this law firm and monthly that I find it odd that my credit is hit month after month as if I am ignoring it or not paying it.  Should this be reporting this way if I am paying on it like this?  Oddly I have no collection or anything else reported so I am confused.  

Thanks for any tips.

Starting FICO8 June 2017: EQ: 514 - EX: 491 - TU: 521 Pre-BK7
Current
FICO8 March 2023: EQ: 703 - EX- 680 - TU: 671
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
C_DUBYA
Regular Contributor

Re: Charge off- Score hurting but have payment plan?

Just an update I went into equifax to find a way to dispute and I noticed they ARE reporting that I make a payment each month, but keeping the status as CO at the same time.

Can they do that?  

Current
Message 2 of 9
crrredit
Established Contributor

It appears they still own the debt and hired the lawyers to collect and do all their legal dirty work. If they had sold it they would no longer be reporting a balance or updating the lates every month. Since they have you on a repayment plan, the SOL probably reset so they can sue you if you stop paying. They're not going to sell it off and stop updating at this point. You could try talking to them directly about settling for less, maybe offering a lump sum payment if you have the funds. But truth is they're probably happy just taking your check every month and keeping the pressure on with their constant updating until you finish paying it off. At that point the updating will stop, and the account will drop off your report seven years after the date you were first 30 days late without bringing the account back up-to-date since.

Message 3 of 9
mfinsmi1
Established Contributor

@C_DUBYA a charge off will continue report each month until the balance hits $0 - so unfortunately until you pay this off itll continue to update each month and surpress your scores. Good luck on paying it off !

Personal Cards (Over $100k):

Business Cards:

Rebuilding Starting Scores - December 2021

FICO SCORE 8/9 - Current 1/6/23

Stats: : 3/6; 8/12; 17/24 --- AAoA 3 YRS, 8 MO --- INQ: EX-6/TU-7/EQ-2
Message 4 of 9
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Unfortunately yes, that's allowed and accurate. It's still past due and charged off. Until it's fully paid off, the updates will continue. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 5 of 9
C_DUBYA
Regular Contributor

Hello all I have an update and follow up question.

So my balance is showing to be $10k as reported to the bureaus.  But of course the law firm with interest and fees is saying my balance is around 12 to 13k.  I have offered a settlement of 9k and they have accepted.

In response they will update my bureaus to "settled for less than" and of course halt all negative activity and mark it to $0.  

This is worth it for me due to all the things they are doing including reporting monthly.  This should update to $0 owed and settled.  

Is this my best option though?  I cannot possibly pay more I am tapping into all I have to clear this.  I asked for them to mark paid in full, but they said they couldnt.

Anything else I should do besides this settlement?

Current
Message 6 of 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Nope. You did the right thing. It will reflect settled paid for less and most important part is the $0 balance. Whats the DoFD for fall off. The first 30 day late that led to the CO status?

Message 7 of 9
C_DUBYA
Regular Contributor

October 2020 was the 30 day. 

Current
Message 8 of 9
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@C_DUBYA wrote:

Hello all I have an update and follow up question.

So my balance is showing to be $10k as reported to the bureaus.  But of course the law firm with interest and fees is saying my balance is around 12 to 13k.  I have offered a settlement of 9k and they have accepted.

In response they will update my bureaus to "settled for less than" and of course halt all negative activity and mark it to $0.  

This is worth it for me due to all the things they are doing including reporting monthly.  This should update to $0 owed and settled.  

Is this my best option though?  I cannot possibly pay more I am tapping into all I have to clear this.  I asked for them to mark paid in full, but they said they couldnt.

Anything else I should do besides this settlement?

That's the best you can do at this point, I'm afraid.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.