Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge off account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Charge off account

I have a charge off account from US bank from three years ago. I am in a position to pay it completely. Because of it my score is hurting
Will that help improve my FICO score ? Can it be removed from my credit history after payment
How much time it takes from paying to see the improvement in score ?
I am planning to buy house in next six months
Any insight is appreciated
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Charge off account

You could always try to negotiate a pay-for-delete scenario. I don't know how much it would boost your score but I do know mortgage lenders dont like to see unpaid derogatory lines on a credit report. Sorry I can't be more helpful. Good luck!
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your reply
Message 3 of 7
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
I have a charge off account from US bank from three years ago. I am in a position to pay it completely. Because of it my score is hurting
Will that help improve my FICO score ? Can it be removed from my credit history after payment
How much time it takes from paying to see the improvement in score ?
I am planning to buy house in next six months
Any insight is appreciated

There will be very little scoring improvement at first, but once you pay it, the updates will stop and in time your scores can start recovering. 

US Bank will not remove charged off account, but will update to a "Paid" status. 

With that said, six months is very short in terms of *credit time*, so if you're looking at score improvement, you may need to adjust your timeline a little bit further out

Good luck 

Message 4 of 7
DGOATS1
Regular Contributor

I got a decent bump on mtg scores when I paid a charge off. But everyone’s report and history is different. If you want to buy a house in my opinion you need to pay it sooner not later to let the payoff age on your report.

Any other CO or derogatory?
Starting Score: 652/644/654 (March 2019)
Current Score: 729/745/745
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 7
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

If the account wasnt sold to a collection agency and had a balance and then you paid it off. You could gain some points. It would be at 0% util then. Thats about the only way to get some points. Main thing is it will quit reporting neg each month.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

How much of a bump did you get? 

@DGOATS1 wrote:
I got a decent bump on mtg scores when I paid a charge off. But everyone’s report and history is different. If you want to buy a house in my opinion you need to pay it sooner not later to let the payoff age on your report.

Any other CO or derogatory?

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.