Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge off changed to Current

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Charge off changed to Current

Hi I had a charge off that happened a almost 7 years ago and now all of a sudden when I checked my credit it's now showing the last 2 years as current and then my credit score dropped is that normal?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Charge off changed to Current

FCRA 605(a) mandates exclusion of adverse items of information at various times, dependent upon the type of adverse information being considered.  

Monthly delinquencies are required to become excluded no later than 7 years from date of delinquency, and charge-offs no later than 7 years plus 180 days from date of initital delinquency, but the CRAs usually exclude at approx 7 years.

If a charge-off occured or was reported almost 7 years ago, then the reported DOFD is likely approx 4 months prior, meaning it has likely reached its exclusion date.  

While removal of the derogs will often result in a net score increase, that is not always the case, as other information could have changed that had negative scoring impact, such as update of other accounts or collections that remain unpaid.

Message 2 of 10
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

No, it's not. And if the company updated it intentionally, it's illegal. Dispute it through the bureaus.

Message 3 of 10
thornback
Senior Contributor

"Current" as in paid and no longer delinquent?

Or "current" as in unpaid with a chargeoff / failure to pay status updated for the last 2 years?

If the latter, yes, it's normal if you never paid them and they never sold the debt to a debt collector- they can update the account at anytime and it's very common for them to do so as it nears the 7 year reporting statute.
Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 4 of 10
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@thornback it sounded to me like it was charged off and about to fall off, but all of a sudden the last 2 years are showing as on time payments.

Message 5 of 10
thornback
Senior Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@thornback it sounded to me like it was charged off and about to fall off, but all of a sudden the last 2 years are showing as on time payments.

Yes, that's why I asked for clarification of what OP meant by "current".  It was unclear to me (since they mentioned a score drop) whether they meant current as in paid on time or current as in recent delinquency.

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's exactly what's happening @throneback and then it dropped my score another 38 points
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone know how I can add a picture of this?
Message 8 of 10
thornback
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
That's exactly what's happening @throneback and then it dropped my score another 38 points

Then yea,  it's unfortunate (sorry!) yet common.  In my opinion, they do this as a last ditch effort to get you to pay.   This is why I always tell people to pay their chargeoffs if possible because, even if they don't update for years, they can do so whenever they please and totally screw your progress when you least expect it.  Paying the debt prevents that... 

Although they updated the payment history to make it appear "new",  the DOFD remains the same and it is illegal for them to alter that so the account will still fall off as originally scheduled.    If you are within 6 months of the fall off date,  you should start requesting early exclusions.   Transunion will delete 6 months early;  Experian up to 3 months early; and Equifax 1 month early.   

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Message 9 of 10
thornback
Senior Contributor

'Photos' button in your editor: 

photos_FICO.png

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.