cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge-off now reported as late payment - please explain!

tag
doredeb
New Contributor

Charge-off now reported as late payment - please explain!

Question...

I have an old medical collection collection on my EXP report; it's from 2014 and has been reporting all this time as a charge-off.  I've never received full details of the account from the CA and have disputed it with EXP a couple times but it comes back as "updated" and has remained on my report.  I question the collection in the first place, but I'm tired of fighting it.  Honestly, I just decided to let it age off as it's not hurting my scores so badly that I want to go extreme efforts to fight the CA and get it off at this point. 

This morning I received an alert from EXP that my score had decreased (-23 points!) and I saw that the CA has now reported the collection account as a late payment (not a charge-off).  I've never made a single payment on this collection account, nor was any agreement reached that I would do so.  Is this legal? Can a collection agency change their reporting on an account once it's charged off?  The charge-off wasn't causing my score to decrease, but the late payment report is - and I don't understand how they can report it that way after all this time.

Can someone provide some insight - and/or suggest what I can do?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Charge-off now reported as late payment - please explain!

Where are you seeing this from?

Message 2 of 3
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Charge-off now reported as late payment - please explain!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.