Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge off now showing as open

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Charge off now showing as open

I have a charge off from my divorce in 2011 for LGFCU. It was reporting as closed for years and now as of this month is reporting as an open account which negatively effects my utilization. The date of last payment is listed as Jun 2011 which I don't believe is correct. I believe it to be more like February. However as this account is suppose to fall off by mid 2018 at the latest I question if it is worth disputing. I just want this past marriage garbage to be behind me. That bank only filed through equifax so it's far lower than every other scores. Do I dispute? Do I wait?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Re: Charge off now showing as open

If it's going to fall off mid 2018, I'd just leave it alone.

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Is it a revolving or installment account?

If a revolving account, do you still have the ability to add additional debt?

Is there still an unpaid, delinquent balance on the debt?

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

Is it a revolving or installment account?

If a revolving account, do you still have the ability to add additional debt?

Is there still an unpaid, delinquent balance on the debt?

It was a revolving account - open ended loan from a credit union. There is a 3K balance that I'm going to let fall off. The only thing that has changed is that they are reporting it as open now instead of closed. No I cannot add addtional debt to this charge off. 

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you cannot use the line of credit then it is "closed" to consumer use, and you can dispute to have it corrected.

However, revolving credit continues to be included in calculation of your % util regardless of whether you can continue to use the account for additional credit.

I would not bother disputing the account reporting as Open if it is no longer open to additional credit, as it will not affect its delinquency status or remove it from continued inclusion in your % util calculation.

Your call.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.