Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge-off pay in full or settle?

tag
CreditOCDinCali
Regular Contributor

Charge-off pay in full or settle?

I just settled for "less than amount owed" to prevent the company from taking me to collections. They've already reported my account as Charged-off yesterday and were going to send it to collections, which would've created another ding for me. I instead settled for "less than amount owed". Did I do the right thing?
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Charge-off pay in full or settle?

Sounds like you did the right thing for you. It’s all about what makes sense financially. I settled a couple and paid off a couple in the last year or so. Paid in full will look better on your reports but settling got you out from under the debt and moving forward so I’d call it a win.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Charge-off pay in full or settle?

@Anonymous wrote:
Sounds like you did the right thing for you. It’s all about what makes sense financially. I settled a couple and paid off a couple in the last year or so. Paid in full will look better on your reports but settling got you out from under the debt and moving forward so I’d call it a win.

I agree here.

However, to add, it still goes on your report and will ding your score. Remember there are a lot of factors in your score - this could be a big ding or a small ding. If your score goes up, that probably means you've been bucketed into another score bracket with other similar profiles. You'll eventually want to get out of that bucket as it's probably a worse bucket that you were in prior to this. If the account is paid, wait a few months, 6 months or more to request that the tradeline be deleted as a GW.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.