Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged off account impact.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Charged off account impact.

Hello, what’s a good way or is there any other way to get better credit card approvals with charge offs on the account?? A while back being young and dumb not realizing the importance of credit I used up and never paid on 3 credit card accounts and is now showing up on my report as charged off/ bad debt. Now that I realize the importance of credit, I’ve been working on it this last year and raised my credit score from 455 to 660 within 6 months by disputing derogatory marks and opening up 2 secured cards and being responsible with those. Now that I’m trying to make my score get even higher, I’ve been trying to apply for unsecured and should have graduated from one of my secured cards by now. But I’m having trouble and believe that it may due to the charged off accounts. I’m willing to pay them but to my understanding, even with paying them off they’ll still be on my report as bad debt for 7 years. Does anyone have any other suggestions of what may approve my chances of getting approved for an unsecured card despite the charge offs?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Re: Charged off account impact.

I suggest you take this question to the Rebuilding section as you will probably get more personalized help there then here

Good luck

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 2 of 8
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Well, paying them off will reduce the chances of being sued, to zero, so there's that. In addition, some banks count the owed balances towards your DTI. Also, credit unions have started moving on to using FICO 9 and paid charge offs carry almost no weight with that score. Lastly, there are lenders like amex who will blacklist you if you still owe them money. It isn't unheard of to need to wait 10-20 years to get back in with them after never paying them back while people who have can get back in within a few years.

So, start paying off your charge offs.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, thanks. I’m new to this
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the info, guess that will be the best decision!
Message 5 of 8
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you for the info, guess that will be the best decision!

No worries. The chargeoffs will always hold you back until they fall off. But you run the risk of it being sold and popping up again for another 7 years. Better to just take care of them.

Message 6 of 8
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Pay your chargeoffs.  Focus your search for new credit on other banks.  Don't try to "get back in" with the chargeoff banks.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 7 of 8
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Meanmchine wrote:

I suggest you take this question to the Rebuilding section as you will probably get more personalized help there then here

Good luck

+1

Moving thread to 'Rebuilding Your Credit' for additional input.

--UB

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.