cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged off account went from $0 balance to new balance of $986?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Charged off account went from $0 balance to new balance of $986?

Hi, I have a charged off account from 7/2015(month it was charged off) and balance was $0 but now today it shows up on my credit report from a balance of $0 to $986? How did that happen?

Did they sell the debt? Not understanding how it went from a balance of $0 to now $986. Since they are reporting it from $0 to all of a sudden $986 my score dropped 27 points.  Trying to build my credit up and got it to 656/673/667 and now to top it off my current mortgage company sold my loan and is reporting the balance as $0(new company has not yet reported they now have the loan) so that also dropped my score.  Any ideas why that balance went from $0 to $986?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Charged off account went from $0 balance to new balance of $986?

If a credtior sells a delinquent debt, they are required to promptly update the reported debt balance owed on the account to $0.

They cannot thereafter update the balance to a non-zero amount, as they no longer own the debt.

If a creditor previously updated a debt balance to $0 after they took a charge-off, and they still own the debt, then they can later update the current balance to its current, actual amount.  Perphaps their prior update to $0 was simply an error that they are now correcting.

The issue for requiring update to $0 is whether or not you have proof that they have actually sold the debt, and thus you no longer owe a debt to them.

Prior inaccuracy in prior reporting does not establish an updating reporting as being factually inaccurate.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Charged off account went from $0 balance to new balance of $986?

It's been at $0 balance for quite a while and now all of a sudden a balance. Guess I will have to call them to see what is going on.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.