Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged off debt, collection not reporting

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Charged off debt, collection not reporting

So I have one unpaid debt outside of student loans left to pay. I am going to pay it tomorrow. It was fingerhut, sold to Jefferson capital. I've talked to fingerhut and they cant accept payment because they have sold the account. So I am goung to call Jefferson Capital and request a pay for not reporting so it doesn't show up.

If I do this, will the fingerhut account report paid? Or do I need to get a letter from Jefferson starting the account #, that it is the fingerhut debt, and that it was PIF?

I'm planning on buying a house in the next year and want to make sure this doesn't bite me.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RyanAZ
Established Member

Re: Charged off debt, collection not reporting

Then you need to get Jefferson Capital to do so in writing (e-mail is fine) but you need the PFD offer in writing.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Charged off debt, collection not reporting

When a creditor sells the debt, they are required to promptly update the debt balance to $0, as there is no longer any debt balance with them.

They do not thereafter update to Paid, as they have no knowledge of or involvement in the subsequent history on the debt.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.